Sunday, June 18, 2006

Flow

One area of the longer ride that I am starting to dial in again is pacing. I think alot of people forget to think about their ride, in total, and hammer that first hill at mile 25 or push the big ring against strong headwinds at mile 30, etc. If you're going out for a long one, probably a good idea to think about the overall ride and what energy stores you need to leave in the bank for whatever your particular ride is going to throw at you, assuming you know the course (and you should!). If you are mashing a big gear and dropping down a gear will allow you spin...do it.

It's all about the flow and trying to work with the course. I try to soft-pedal where it makes sense (where I am getting free speed anyway) and only push when necessary. Today was a good day in the saddle. A long ride is a good way to clear you mind and make everything right with the world. It's great to focus on pedaling and getting into a groove....definitely a rolling meditation. I definitely think there would be a cooler vibe overall if more people started riding bikes.

I had good "flow" today. I really wasn't expecting to ride as long as I did since I didn't get out there until 10am. I was feeling pretty good so kept it rolling. Threw in some solid hills (4+ mile Bald Peak climb and did 2 rolling / hilly loops (2 x 10 miles) around Hagg Lake) with the remainder comprised of flat to rolling terrain. Also, a good dose of wind but focused on the fueling and had solid energy throughout the ride. It's always a good thing when you feel like you can keep pushing it at the end of a 6 hr ride vs. limping in to the finish!

Bike Stats
6:07 Total Time
108.6 Miles Total
17.7 MPH Ave
138 HR Ave

When I got home, I put on my chef's hat and made a HUGE portion of teriyaki chicken, broccoli, and rice. I just wanted to let everyone know it's not all about the Big Macs and Snickers. I try to cook a bunch and pack a couple of lunches for the coming week. So this week it will be chicken / broccoli / rice for lunch Mon/Tues....finger-licken good! Yes, I know that's a lot of white rice but with all of the training volume, figure I need as many carbs as possible...even white rice, bread, and *gasp* pasta!



Hope all you Fathers out there are enjoying your day- you deserve it. Have a good one!

*Peace*

7 Comments:

Blogger Lora said...

Sounds like a great "flow" ride. I would have just collapsed after that! And thank you for that healthy meal---I was starting to worry about you!

4:50 AM  
Blogger Habeela said...

What is up with people giving you a hard time about the Snickers and the Big Mac! I mean, really! There is always a time and a place for delicious, unhealthy food - and after a great training day is definitely one of them.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That looks yummy! Maybe I'll have to do Chinese for lunch instead. Hmmmm.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Nice job on the ride, Mike. Sounds like you had a good one and the volume ramp-up is agreeing with you at this point.

Also - good job getting it done sans Snickers bars!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Mike,

ha, I thought IMmike is talking about me :).

I reduce my rice/pasta/grain intake from paleo diet. Of course, as asians, it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid rice :D.

Snickers and big mac is all good..i haven't had McDonalds in a year....woah :)

10:42 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

I make almost all those mistakes you mention in your first paragraph. The long ride is a relatively new thing for me. I'm trying to become a spinner instead of a masher.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I love the flow. I find my "happy place" and spend the whole time trying to stay there.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home