Saturday, June 10, 2006

Blue Collar Workout

I'm not sure of the exact quote and I'm sure I'll butcher it:

"Cycling is a blue-collar sport, you gotta put in the miles"

So true eh? No way around that one......you have to spend some solid time in the saddle. I got a good dose today.

I finally headed out around 8:45'sh for the ride with some "gentle" prodding from Lora / Mike- thanks, it worked! ;-) The weather cooperated for the whole ride although the wind was an issue at certain points. No rain though so I'll take it. I decided to make it long and hilly today. I'm not sure if it was the right choice when I hit the first hill (Unger Rd)...the last 1/4 mile section is pretty steep and my legs didn't have any snap. It probably had to do with the 4 consecutive days of running before the ride today. After about an hour, the legs started to come around though.....went thru some rollies and flats before I hit hill number #2 (Bald Peak Rd)....this is an extended climb of 4+miles....just a matter of pushing through it but alot harder when you are alone. *Steven, I missed ya today- of course, in a totally heterosexual way. ;-) *

The solitary miles provided more incentive for me to get my new ipod Nano up and running. It has been sitting in the package for over 3 weeks!! I like to pull the headphones thru my cycling jersey and run it in one ear *stealth mode*....cops probably won't see it and you can still hear the cars , etc out of the free ear. I could have used that company today. I got to the top of Bald Peak and turned around and flew down on my way to Hagg Lake for the hilly 10 mile loop around the lake. Steven had left a comment about trying Laurelwood (killer STEEP hill) but I would have been wrecked so decided to skip that one for today!

Hagg Lake was pretty uneventful...got her done and started heading back but noticed that my energy levels were dragging a bit. At this point, I was about 4 hours into the ride and needed something to jump start my energy. It was time for "creative fueling". I headed into the general store outside the lake and bought a "BIG GULP"size Coke and 2 snicker bars (1 KING size / 1 regular size). Horrible eh? Trust me though, the sugar definitely helps when you need the boost. (Chris McCormack spoke at one of my tri-club meetings and he calls coke "black gold" for its awesome kick during a race). I filled my two bottles with coke and ate half the king size snicker. I guess my eyes were bigger then my appetite because I couldn't finish it....it is a whopping 510 calories for the whole bar- YIKES!!

Once I hopped back on the bike it was all good....energy: check, speed on the flats: 20mph ++.....Just wondering if it is a good thing to start coke on the bike though....still so much of the race left at that point....I will definitely hit it during the marathon, no question...but the bike, hmmm.....hopefully will have fitness gains within the next two months where it won't be necessary. The rest of the ride was relatively flat but had a good dose of wind in certain sections....post-bike, I even got in a transition run but cut it short at 20 minutes....still felt good though and could have ran longer but figured no need. I'm just glad that I was able to push through the whole bike ride....steady on the flats and a solid dose of hilly terrain today so things look promising.

One of the major pluses about riding around here (besides the varied terrain), is the total lack of stoplights, etc. Pretty desolate- a ton of wineries and farmland but you can get in some loooooong steady riding vs. the constant stop/start I was used to down in SoCal. You can ride all day without stopping at even one intersection.

Bike Stats
5:54 Total Time
101.1 Miles Total
17.10 MPH Ave
141 HR AVe

Transition Run
19:53 Total Time
2.6 miles
7:39 Pace / Mile
160 HR Ave

*Peace*

5 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

Looks like you're doing a great job of erasing that "semi" you mentioned a few posts back. Keep it up!

10:39 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Ride and eat junk food...that's the way to go :)

I have to try that coke stuff...

3:25 AM  
Blogger Lora said...

Awesome ride!! Glad my dominant side was able to help ;)

Coke...hmmm....gotta tell ya that as a nurse who uses coke to unclog stuffed up tube feedings (it works just like draino) I've never been able to put the stuff in my mouth. Tho I've tried Code Red Mountain Dew--give it a shot (or I'll just have to close my eyes when I see the coke word on your blog).

As for snickers....oh man--my fav candy bar!!! Your blog made all these wild feelings run thru me....domination, exasperation, wild cravings. I gotta go lay down a minute!

4:34 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Hey Mike! Excellent job on the ride! BTW, Karen was happy to read you missed in a hetero-way...

100+ miles around here is no easy feat. You should be commended.

But, then you should be slapped for eating not one but TWO snickers and one a KING size to boot?!

And last Sunday it was cookies! Like I said, I still having a fighting chance of hanging with ya at Pac Crest.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for such good information.......If you love to workout, just like me......Please check out the blogs mentioned below, its really informative !!!!..... check it out m sure you'll love it.

http://staysharpwithworkouts.blogspot.com

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home