Monday, June 05, 2006

And So It Begins Again......

I'm happy to report that I am finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. I've dusted the cobwebs off the old training gear and having a go....feeling inspired. Maybe I should wait before I make such bold pronouncements since my training in the last 3 weeks has been lame but plan on keeping it rolling. The last bike ride prior to my ride this past weekend was on 5/13!! I can't believe how quickly the days can roll by. It wasn't like I was swimming or running during the gap either so pretty much shut it down....HARD!

I was looking forward to the past weekend with a slight sense of dread since I figured there was no way I would last thru a long workout. Saturday I had planned on getting in multiple workouts but stopped into the office for "just a second" and ended up leaving there at 2pm! Only time for a quick run....kept my HR down and figured that I would ramp it up slowly and keep everything aerobic until Pac Crest. Run went ok...not bad after taking such an extended break.

Run Stats
45 Minutes
Not sure on Mileage

Sunday, woke up to clouds and the dreaded brick workout with Steven (**sidenote- if you haven't checked out his blog lately, you gotta read his last post re: his daughter's first marathon- GREAT stuff!!). In a sign of solidarity, I brought my tri-bike even though it looked like we were going to get hit with some rain. Steven's "rain-bike" was getting some repairs so he was stuck riding his plasma. We got rain, wind and hills...but surprisingly, my lack of any riding in the last 3 weeks didn't seem to affect me too much. Even at the tail end of the ride, I was still able to ride at 21-22mph+ so all is not lost! *sigh of relief*

The run, post-bike, was another story....not as much spring in my step. Also, hard when Steven is basically on cruise control while I was puffing like a locomotive. Still the 7:20's didn't seem too bad after 70+ miles on the bike. Nice confidence boost, just need to gain some consistency going forward.

Bike Stats
72.7Miles
4:17:30 Total Time
16.9mph Ave

Transition Run
4.3 miles
31:47 Total Time
7:23 mile / pace

**Post-workout, we were treated to some really tasty oatmeal cookies made by Karen (Steven's wife). Nothing like warm cookies straight out of the oven...YUM. I'd have to say that it was the best part of the workout! :-)

Today got a swim in at lunch....again, the time off was a factor here. Upper body was revolting big time but slogged my way thru 3K.

Swim Stats
3000 yards Total
58 minutes
1 x 1500 Free
1 x 250 TI Drills
1 x 1000 Free
1 x 250 TI Drills

Post work, I had time to squeeze in a quick bike ride. Not a long one and I was feeling the effects of the effort yesterday but still nice to get out there. I did throw in one solid hill effort (Unger Road) and got the HR a bit elevated but figured a quick dose of intensity wouldn't hurt since I was keeping it short.
It felt good! ;-)

Bike Stats
1:27 Total Time
17.8mph ave
25.7 miles

Aaaaah....endorphins are a good thing!

*Peace*

8 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

Way to get back out there. That's an awesome weekend!

4:09 AM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

See that? Some time off never hurt anyone. ;)

4:40 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

"...my training in the last 3 weeks has been lame but plan on keeping it rolling."

Let me get this straight, you plan on keeping your lame training rolling? :-)

When's that IM again?

9:37 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow! Lots of workouts. Good use of your time. Remember to recover!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Hey, anyone who can hang with Steven is a stud in my book! That man is crazy... in a good way :)

Endorphins Rock!!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

You can't keep a real athlete down! Glad you're back out there--keep fighting for your time for this!!!!!!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Glad you had fun, Mike. Let's do it again!

Always nice to have someone to suffer with!

10:02 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Thanks all...good to get back in the saddle...

Zeke- nice to hear from you...thanks for pointing out my muddled grammar!! I was trying to say that I wanted to keep this consistency rolling (even though it was just a sputtering start) vs. the inactivity over the last 3 weeks! Definitely don't want to roll with the zeros in the workout stats...IM Canada is in late August. I am very afraid....

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home