Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Squeezed In A Couple Workouts

I made it through hump day with no major speed wobbles. I decided that today was going to be a workout day regardless of my HUGE to-do list so dropped everything at 12pm to run. I even got a semi-celebrity sighting on the way to gym as I caught Alberto Salazar and Adam Goucher having a chat on the Ronaldo Soccer Field. Alberto typically has his athletes run their loops around the perimeter of the field...not sure if Goucher is coached by Salazar but looked as if he just got in a run.

I wanted to keep my run on the easier side so went off campus to run thru the Tualatin Nature Park. Often, while running on the chip trail alongside other people, it is easier to get caught up in the "push" around the trail and end up running 20-30 seconds per mile faster then you intended. Run went well

Run Stats
38:30
5 miles / 7:40 pace
159 HR Ave

Post work, I headed out for a ride on the tri-bike. I headed out at 6:20pm and it was 75 degrees. *thank you weather gods* As the tri season looms ahead, I realized that I really need to focus on the focus. As in, being able to drop into the aero position and keep pushing a steady pace for hours. I am definitely not there yet but figure I can start pushing the duration on a weekly basis, assuming I get on the bike in time. I was pushing it a bit tonight as my ride home was a bit sketchy. It was pushing 8:20 when I unclipped.

The ride went well. I made it a priority to keep it steady in the aerobars and only push when I was forced to....whenever I hit the false flats / hills or wind. I try to keep this ride on the flats but alot of rolling terrain around here. For the most part, was rolling at 22-23mph but those darn winds and hills on the back end of my ride always suck my average speed into the toilet. No worries though, just need to work on moving the curve higher on the speed / duration. I had some slight tightness in my right hip flexor but it seems to be fine off the bike- will have to keep an eye on that.

Bike Stats
40 miles
1:59 Total Time
20.1 mph ave

*peace*

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Nice workouts and very impressive speeds!

5:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear you broke away from the desk for awhile. The nature park is another one of my favorite places to run over there. I usually loop the chip trail and then head over to the nature park and then maybe back to the chip trail depending on needed mileage. It's a great setting to run in.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Nice ride, Mike. We'll start aero-riding on our long-rides, too. We could both use it. And I'd love to push the pace a bit on the bike as well.

So you can push me on the bike...and I'll push you on the t-run afterwards!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

I hate hips. Good for you for dropping everyting, though. I am working on that... :)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

That's a great average bike speed with all the wind. Nice riding.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

awesome workouts. very inspiring.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home