Sunday, May 07, 2006

Hill-O-Rama

I don't think I'll ever figure out the weather up here in Oregon. All week we had beautiful weather with sunny and warm conditions. Anyone that happened to catch the pics in my Thursday post could see the great weather we were experiencing only three days ago. I remember thinking that we had finally turned a corner and would be seeing sunny skies for a bit. I was wrong.

It all seemed like a distant memory as I threw on the shorts, bib-tights, under-shirt, jersey, arm-warmers, jacket, winter gloves, shoes, and booties. Cold, rainy, and windy- that's how we roll in the 503......I seriously thought Steven would give his legs a rest after kicking some serious ass at the Hagg Lake Road Race yesterday, but that guy is on a mission. His "Hilly Ride" was on schedule today and damnit he was going to do it regardless of the weather or beat-up legs.

We rolled out at 7:30am and right into some wind. It seemed like we were either getting buffeted by strong winds or climbing a hill on the ride today...sometimes we got both! Also, strange to be on my heavy steel cross-bike after riding the tri-bike for awhile. Aero to upright...strange. I am not familiar with all of the routes we took today but if there was a hill in the vicinity, Steven made sure we climbed it. We crested Bald Peak and it was especially nasty up there - It felt about 10 degrees colder with wind and fog. We didn't spend too much time up there enjoying the scenery today. We also took a loop around Hagg Lake which is a series of extended hills & rollers. I don't know how Steven managed to ave 6:23 running around that course - shite!

I actually made a concentrated effort to maintain the calories going in to avoid any bonking issues today so I'm happy to report that I didn't have any issues in that department. After spending close to 5 hours in the weather, we decided to bag the post-bike run. Steven didn't have to twist my arm on that one.

Not quite sure of the stats. I'll have to check with Steven but I think the following is close...I think we did close to 5 hours and 68miles?

Bike Stats -
HILLS
4:46 Total Time
68.2 miles
14.2mph ave

I just checked the weather and it looks like sunny skies for the next 4 days. Thank you weather gods for bringing in the nasty stuff over the weekend!

*Peace*

4 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

Thanks for joining me on a tough ride, Mike. That particular route is a hard one, but even more so yesterday with that relenteless wind!
Here are the stats I have:
68.2-miles
4:46:12
14.2mph

Let's do it again!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Crap. It sounds like my Sat ride with Darren..isn't it great ;)

11:28 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

LOL. I love IMMike's comment. But I feel like I live in the clouds here in SF!

Why don't you and Steve bike down to SF next weekend. We've been lucking out lately. I'm sure it will only take you guys a few hours, you can handle it. :)

8:32 PM  
Blogger Habeela said...

That's the spirit! :)

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home