Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Get The Balance Right

Anyone leave the lights on for me? :-)

I almost got sucked into the endless work vortex. We have been very busy with our year-end close and it only looks to get worse in the next month. Monday and Tuesday were pretty much a blur. I didn't get a chance to work out at all which really sucked with the beautiful weather we have been experiencing. I felt like a mole for the brief periods I ran out to get lunch and some java across the campus. **Ouch that sunlight hurts** Everyone lounging outside....you can always tell the change in seasons at Nike when the tables and chairs suddenly surface in the quad......yes, a slight twinge of jealousy walking past all the people just relaxing and enjoying the rays. For me it was a quick run thru the cafe to get lunch which I wolfed down at my desk....I left work last night at 8:10pm.....regardless of how much you love your job or the company you work for, that is definitely a recipe for burnout.

I decided I really need to focus on maintaining some balance. You miss your window..your opportunity and before you know it, you can end up stuck in an endless stream of inactivity which builds and builds and becomes a force in and of itself. At that point, it can be very difficult to throw on the brakes. I was there last year and it is not a good thing. I made it a point to get out today. I dropped everything at 11:30am and headed out for a run. It felt really good to get out there today, even for a short one. I definitely needed it

Run Stats
5 miles
36:10
167 HR Ave (Z2)

After staying at work until after 8 the previous night, I decided that I would do the tuck and roll....sneak out of work tonight. The weather was too nice...the sun is out waaay too late now to leave my bike just leaning against a wall today. Finally left work around 6pm and was rolling out on my bike around 6:40pm. The only bummer was the BRUTAL WIND at this time.....pushing into a strong headwind is not my idea of fun but figured you don't get stronger on the bike by pushing easy workouts. I definitely pushed it on this ride....kept the intensity up and pushed the bigger gears into the WIND......it hurt.....but it was "good hurt"....you can all relate right? Regardless of how you choose to raise your heart rate, it's good to push every once in awhile. It definitely makes you feel alive!

Bike Stats
30.4 Miles
1.5 Hrs
20.2 MPH
158 HR Ave

*Peace*

6 Comments:

Blogger Lora said...

Ever wonder why society is set up so that we need to make major adjustments to do what's really impt to us? Sucks doesn't it??!!

Great job in getting in your workouts when the challenge to work was there. I know the feeling--makes you just want a cashier job sometimes huh?

ohhhh the "good hurt"---I crave it daily.

2:26 AM  
Blogger Habeela said...

Thanks for the reminder. I'd say more but you've inspired me not to miss my window of opportunity! :)

6:29 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Good job on skipping :)....I know it is so hard to do more work when a timeline is coming soon. I am still learning this as well.

Work hard.but not work to burnout.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember the first time I ventured off the chip trail there and stumbled upon the quad at the Nike compound and was overtaken. If you can move your work outside I would be sitting out there with a laptop and cell phone all day long.

Maybe you can work 2 hours, do a loop on the trail, work 2 more hours and do another loop and just keep repeating that. Maybe grab the bike at lunch and go do 20 miles before returning to your lounge chair, laptop and cellphone. Just an idea.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Nice job getting out and getting it done, Mike.
Especially the ride. The wind has been brutal lately!
Hopefully it lets up for us on Sunday's ride...and my race on Saturday!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Lora- totally agree with you there.

Habeela- get out there!

Cliff...yes, a never-ending struggle there. I am trying to get better though.

Rob- you are a genius!;-) Not sure how long I would keep my job with that schedule though!

Steven- yes, what the heck is going on with all that wind out there!? It has to die down by Saturday- here's to calm conditions for you on Saturday!

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home