Friday, April 21, 2006

Missed Connections, Big Mac, & Starschmucks

I am not a big fan of flying and will now have to narrow that down to "not a big fan of flying with American Airlines."

In my opinion, THEY SUCK!

Missed Connections
My flight from Boston to LAX was delayed. American Airlines continued to increase the departure time in 15 minute increments until it was over an hour...not good. When I landed in LAX, I still had 35 minutes to make it to the Alaska Air terminal and my connecting flight to Portland. Since I was in a hurry, the American Airlines staff pointed me in the direction of their ground transport that shuttled across the tarmac vs. running to another terminal. I figured they knew what they were doing...WRONG. I ended up in some bus depot on the American Airlines tarmac waiting for another bus to take me to the Alaska Air terminal. By the time they got me to my gate, my plane home had been in the air for 10 minutes!! It was only a 10 minute walk back to the American Air terminal- I could have made the flight if they didn't direct me to their friggen ground transport. To add insult to injury, they tried to get off with just a lame apology...no offer of a hotel, etc until I had to practically demand it. I am not a big fan of Los Angeles and was not happy to spend a night there when I should have been home. AA definitely has the worst service of any airline I've had to deal with...or at least in comparison to my airline of choice, Alaska Air.

Big Mac
By the time I got my hotel and flight arrangements for Friday squared away it was after 10 pm. I was starving and with slim pickings in the airport, ended up eating at Mickey D's. I figured the day couldn't get any worse so might as well end it on a good note with a good ole American, artery-clogging Big Mac & fries.....mmm...mmmm...MMMM! Seriously, I haven't eaten a Big Mac in ages and it was pretty darn tasty....I can see why you can easily fall into a pattern of eating that stuff. I ended up at the Westin, LAX stewing over how loud the jet engines were until I finally drifted off to sleep.

Starschmucks
I was up at 445am to catch the airport shuttle and make my 630am flight to Portland. At this point, I was pretty tired so I figured I would give myself a jolt with some java. Again, I know we all have our personal tastes but does anyone really think that Starbucks serves good joe? Seriously? In comparison to Peet's, Diedrichs, Intelligentsia, Stumptown, etc etc etc ...so many GOOD alternatives out there.....but I digress.
Back to my sorry state....you'll love this part. I bought a large coffee from the bucks and walked over to the coffee station for some half&half and sugar. I grabbed the cream and when I attempted to pour it into my coffee, the lid of the creamer fell off and I dumped the whole container of half&half onto my coffee, the counter, my luggage, and my clothes. **F_ME!** To add to this comedy of errors, some a-hole sitting next to the coffee station started barking about me splashing him with cream and how I needed to pay his dry cleaning bill. When I turned to face him and asked where I hit him, he stated that he was joking.....JOKING.....Me and my luggage covered in cream and this a-hole wants to make a joke!??! Finally cleaned up my mess with the help of a really sweet gal from S-bucks and was on my way.

Flight was pretty uneventful. I drove straight from the airport to work and dove headfirst into email hell. 106 emails when I logged in.......I was never happier to get out of work!!

Hope you all had a better Thursday / Friday then I did....looking forward to getting some good sleep tonight! I haven't worked out since the marathon so will have to get that going here soon before I get used to this sedentary lifestyle.

Have a great weekend!

*peace*

7 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Yikes, what an ordeal. I'm glad that you finally made it home, enjoy your own bed.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Habeela said...

I guess when it rains, it pours? I hope the weekend is blissfully peaceful after that.

I thought I was the only one who hated Starbucks coffee! I'm still amused that it is the only exception in NYC to the "boycott all chain establishments" rule.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

I also HATE American Airlines. They didn't even give me a small bag of pretzels when I flew SF to Boston! And they gave me a dirty look when I requested my ENTIRE can of Diet Pepsi. So budget!!!

But Starbucks coffee doesn't bother me, actuallly.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Ouch. A Day. From. Hell. for you, my friend.
I hope the rest of your weekend is better. But I'm pretty sure it couldn't be any worse!
BTW - you missed a most excellent ride today!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

hey all...definitely a day from hell but enduring those days makes the "good days" all the better right?!

8:36 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Holy Planes, Trains, and Automobiles! (minus the trains and autos, but you get the point.)

Glad you made it back safe and sound!

3:51 PM  
Blogger jp said...

Ouch. A crappy day.

I hate American Airlines as well. I travel for my job (lately its been every week) and I always fly Southwest...their customer service is great.

Agreed, Starbucks coffee is just ok... Just like McDonald's...average product, but great at creating brand awareness.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home