Monday, April 03, 2006

Under The Radar


I've been keeping the whole Boston thing on the down low at work since I haven't been running much here lately....

Ok, let me re-phrase that...I haven't been running at all....

A lot of people run at Nike...and quite a few of them run awfully fast. It's often hard to avoid the whole discussion of PR's, goal finish times, etc. With an injury thrown into the mix, it makes it even more difficult so figured I'd try to fly under the radar. That all changed today when a couple of friends in Event Marketing brought me these "Boston 06 goodies". We talked about the race...the hot weather the last couple of years...forecasts for this year....and finally they mentioned how impressed they were in the fact that I was headed to Boston. They couldn't have cared less about PR's or finish times......from their perspective, FINISHING a marathon was impressive.

I think it's so easy to lose perspective on what we do....it is a beautiful, incredible blessing that we can push our bodies in this manner.....***don't ever forget that**....I'm as guilty as anyone in this regard.....it truly is a gift and I am going to definitely treat it with much more respect once I am back at 100%.

I swam at lunch but my mind was drifting to the run I had planned after work.

Swim Stats
57 Minutes
3000 Yards Total
1 x 1000 Free
1 x 250 TI drills
1 x 1500 Free
1 x 250 TI drills

After my run on Friday, I really wanted to "test" my leg a bit further by pushing the intensity slightly....if there was any pain I was going to shut it off. Slight ache at times during the run but no serious pain....just as long as I focused on technique and kept it smooth, I was fine. It wasn't a long run but it really felt good to open it up a bit.

Actually it just feels good to be running! :-)

No pain, post run but currently icing the calf as a precaution. I'm not taking any chances!!

Run Stats
Treadmill
37 Minutes Total
4.75 miles
5 minute warm-up at 9 min pace
27:30 tempo effort - 4 miles, successively faster in 15 sec increments
1 x 7:15 mile
1 x 7:00 mile
1 x 6:45 mile
1 x 6:30 mile
5 minute cooldown walk

YES!

*peace*

7 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

Nice to see things are coming together with two weeks to go.

So are those the perks of working at Nike? Can I ask what department you work in? Is it as cool as it sounds?

6:00 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Mike,

Have you ever asked Nike to sponsor u :)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Glad to see the leg is coming around Mike. Stay easy with the running up until Boston then open it up! Well, within limits, of course.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

I WANT TO SAY "BOSTON: BEEN THERE, RUN THAT" SO BADLY!!!!!!!!

Oh, I can't WAIT to run again tomorrow. THANK YOU, MIKE!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice goodies there. I agree with how easy it is to forget what an accomplishment it is to be able to complete a marathon and also be able to qualify for Boston. I often get wrapped up in all the awe inspiring people that I run with and around that I feel if I am not outdoing them, or atleast keeping up with them then my running is not living up to what it should be. Can't wait to hear about Boston.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey Zeke,
I really enjoy working at Nike- perks are great if you know the right people!;-) I don't work in any of the product engines, I work in the Finance Dept. of the Global Brand Group so we manage a large number of the higher level initiatives that drive our mktng campaigns across the globe....just a bean counter but feel VERY lucky where I landed.

Whitaker Fam- thanks for stopping by...me old bones are holding together!;-)

Cliff- enough with the jokes! ;-)

Steven- I hear ya...don't plan on killing myself here or at Boston!

Nic- You are well on your way..when everything "clicks" it will be a beautiful thing!

Mike- maybe I gave the wrong impression- not like guys are running around here boasting..more like hearing it thru the grapevine...other runners talking about someone else's PR...very competitive group...fast runners and very fast cyclists as well...I haven't ridden with the weekly lunch group rides out of the gym but heard they are scary fast! I'll have to check out The Fray.

Rob- dude! We see eye to eye...

10:55 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Working at Nike must be a dream. I would love love love it. I imagine that the majority of people that work there love running/working out as much as I do; as opposed to where I workout now -- people think I am a little too OCD about it!

And you are right about us being lucky to be doing what we're doing. Embrace every ache and pain, and think of Marc Herremans.

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home