Monday, March 27, 2006

Aqua Jogging Anyone?


Hope everyone had a trouble-free Monday. The weather was beeeyootiful for the most part today.....definitely brought back memories of my first summer in Oregon just last year. It didn't last long though as the clouds rolled in by late afternoon with showers in the forecast thru the end of the week....oh well, I'll take what I can get. I am officially run-free now for a week....still got the ache in my soleus muscle so I don't want to push it but I'm starting to worry about my run fitness. While swimming at lunch today I took a quick look at the aquajoggers....the gym is great in that they provide all the necessary swim tools.....fins, pull buoys, paddles, aquajoggers.....never would have given the aquajogger a second thought but I am seriously considering one now....I have never tried one but have heard that they can help maintain run fitness while injured. I have seen one gal that is currently coached by Alberto Salazar using one in the pool awhile back.....wondering if any of you out in the blogosphere have used an aquajogger and, if so, do you think it helped maintain run fitness and help in the transition back to "real running"? Inquiring minds would like to know....

Swim Stats
3000 yards
50 Minutes
1 x 3000

*Peace*

4 Comments:

Blogger Born To Endure said...

I tore my peroneal tendon along my ankle last August and had to train for 6 weeks this way. Got back to running slowly, but it kept the fitness level up and was actually challenging if done properly. If you go to www.taranorton.com, she will describe a horrific accident that happened to her and how she had to aqua jog for a long time..she's a pro and it hasn't hurt her times one bit!!

3:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I did the aquajogging, although I like to call it pool running, in Nov/Dec when I was out for 5 weeks and I thought it really helped my transition back. Once you get your form figured out you can start pushing yourself a little bit, but I won't lie, it is a bit boring.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Whoa Shelley- that sounds painful!
Thanks for the link- Tara's crash was scary- product failure is a scary thing!
Nice to hear that both you and Rob have rehab'd using the pool...looking forward to spending a bit of time in the deep end for the next 3 weeks.
Mike- the frustrating thing is that I have been running injury free for the last 6-7 years...this sucks!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

Mike I'm not sure how important pool running is, given that you are a triathlete. I'd think biking and swimming would be enough to keep you fit.

3 weeks prior to Grandma's marathon last year my arch flaired up and I did some cross training, including an hour in the pool with the aquajogger.

The thing I remember the most is to increase/decrease resistance by cupping your hands. If you have your hands flat like a sprinter to slice through the water, it's probably going to be too easy for you.

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home