Thursday, March 23, 2006

REST

I am taking a complete rest day today...is that crazy or what!?! ;-)

This whole issue with my leg has become an obsession in the last couple days...I am the nutty guy walking around and regularly breaking into a 3-4 step jog to "test" the leg ....yep, still feel it.....with some internet searching, I have been able to identify the issue, which is a plus, and the stretches to remedy it...basically what Matt was telling me the other day.....here is a quick link to the problem...scroll down to "Pain in the mid-calf"....welcome to my world.

Decided I need to heed the warnings/suggestions of my fellow bloggers and friends and shut down the running. I'm sure as a Physical Therapist, my friend Matt has seen a ton of over-use injuries and he emailed me the following today....I think he is pretty much on the mark:

DO NOT overdo this muscle. You will have an injury that will last for a LONG time if you aggravate it. Rest at this point is much more important than aerobic fitness. You are already in Boston - take a week lightly and only do a 2 week taper perhaps. Better to do that than have it flare on the hills in Boston and DNF the race. Glad you were able to nail it down and plan to get some treatment. Let me know how it goes.
Matt

Matt- thanks for throwing me some love brother....your input is always appreciated.

Maybe you all can do me a favor the next time you lace-up your kicks- do a few intervals for me!! ;-)

*peace*

3 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Mike,

Rest day...so u are going ot hit the pool right? haha..j/k :)

I will do some hill runs in your name this Sunday.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Mike! So sad for you. I was just there with my hip. Getting sick and having to go away on some business trips was probably a blessing in disguise - because now I feel great and I'm running really strong. Stay focused and stretch a lot.

Can you do any yoga? It will help calm any anxiety/stress and still give you a good workout.

I'll kick my own ass on my long run tomorrow in your honor. It's my first one in a few weeks given the madness of March...

10:11 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey- thanks all...now I just need to find a way to channel your workouts and absorb the running fitness!
Mike- good point..definitely looking forward to getting a prof. opinion.
Nic- Keep it rolling on your running! and yes, need to work on the stretching and the Yoga..a ton of different yoga classes at the nike gym but I've never hit a class..a gal in my dept. goes all the time so I'll have to give it a go

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home