Monday, March 13, 2006

Sore Hamstrings, Hairy Pits, Rain...Is it Monday??

Well...one of the problems of not following a structured training program is that you can bury yourself real quick.....woke up with a sore left hammy.....probably not a good idea to follow a 22 mile hilly run with a 10 miler the following day. Apparently I don't have that kind of durability in my legs but sometimes you just have to go for it.....I was stuck in a rut in my running until I made an effort to work on the frequency of my running...no change in intensity...pretty much kept it all aerobic and just started running everyday and was able to qualify for Boston back in 04....no marathon pace work, no structured track work besides some Yasso 800's.....now I'm trying to make another push in mileage/intensity to get faster or blow up in the process....hoping I can hang on! This running stuff is tricky...so many training methodologies out there...for every training method out there you can find another to refute it....I guess I just need to find what works for me.

Training went ok today....I hit the pool at lunch to get in some recovery work on my beat up legs. The pool was empty until a gal joined me about 1/2 way through my workout. As I was rolling to breath on one side she took a stroke and I got an eyeful of hairy armpit......I don't have a problem with "HA's"...gotta respect everyone's right to let it go......but her legs were shaved- I don't get it!?! Maybe I am not familiar with the shaving protocol but if you go to the trouble of shaving your legs, wouldn't you give your pits a few swipes too?.....but I digress...other then that, my swim was pretty uneventful.

Swim Stats
1 Hour Total
3000 Yards Total, as follows:
1 x 1000 Free (45 sec rest)
1 x 250 TI Drills
1 x 1000 Free (45 sec rest)
1 x 250 TI Drills
1 x 500 Free

Post work, I went back to the gym and hobbled through a tread run. After I warmed up with an 8:30 first mile, I was able to run a 7:30 pace on sore legs....was planning to run for an hour but decided to cut it short after 45 minutes....I wasn't feeling the love tonight.....there's always tomorrow.

Run Stats
46 Minutes (plus 5 min walk cooldown)
6.25 Miles
155 HR ave (Z1)

*Peace*

3 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

You're a better man than I...
Well, I'm not a man, though. But I don't get hairy pits. Who wants to put deodorant on top of all that fuzz?

7:54 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

I've seen a gal with hairy pits in my pool, too. Only once though, thank goodness. I'm not a fan.

Take it easy on the running right now. You don't want to turn a small annoying tweak into a major pain or injury.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Impressive...no training plan and u can hit qualify for Boston.

Does this shaving rule work for guys as well? I plan on shave my legs this summer. But I ain't gonna shave my armpits..

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home