Monday, March 06, 2006

Is It Monday Already?!

Happy Monday.....always slooow heading out of the gate on a monday...nothing that a huge cup of Java can't fix though.....Hope you all had a good day.....came across this excellent post (No Fear of...) on Nic's blog regarding commitment as it relates to training....hits the nail on the head, literally......this gal has mad skills in posting her thoughts / views.....check it

Even though I had a pretty busy day at work, I made it a point to sneak out to the gym for a workout at lunch...figured now is not the time to be missing workouts and I need "me time" damnit! ;-) Decided on a swim since it would provide a bit of recovery action for the legs...figured I need to try and hit my runs after work so I can run a bit longer. The pool was nice and empty....

Swim Stats
1 hour total
3000 yrds total
2 x 500 Free (45 sec rest)
1 x 250 TI Drills
2 x 500 Free (45 sec rest)
1 x 250 TI Drills
1 x 500 Free

Unshackled myself from my desk at 6pm and headed back to the gym for a run....not a big fan of the treadmill but didn't want to run in the dark while it was raining. Again, ramping up the intensity a bit to put myself in higher Z2.....HR was pegged there until the heat got the better of me and drifted a couple beats into Z3....I have a hard time with overheating on the treadmill...outdoor treadmills on a covered patio would be a nice addition to the gym but I digress......run went ok but I'll need some time to get used to this "faster" (for me) running....probably more of a mental thing because I am not working too hard physically....not gasping for breath or embarrassing myself yet.....I would like to get to a point where this pace feels "easy" ala Steven's engine developed thru purposeful weekly training including a HARD day of speedwork....IMMike has suggested throwing in a couple weeks of intervals as well.....definitely something to think about.....I am just hanging on by the seat of my pants and it is only day two in my push to Boston!

Run Stats
Treadmill
1 hour Total
8 miles
165 HR Ave Z2

Jumped off the treadmill and did a recovery spin on a stationary bike...barely any resistance, just high cadence

Bike Stats
30 minutes total
Easy Spin
122 HR Ave Z1

*peace*

4 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

That's a very productive lunch.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

I agree with immike. Read the Loare of Running by Noakes. Well, maybe not "read" it as it is HUGE, but refer to it. It has a wealth of data in it. Tons. I'm less then 100 pages from getting through it and will post my review then, but it is a MUST have for a runner or triathlete library.

Also, you are on the right track with pushing yourself a bit during your run. 7/m did not feel easy to me when I started. It was red-line. Now, 7-7:15 are easy/recovery speeds from the real work of 6:30-6:20 running. However, I have no grand illusions that at my age 6:30 will ever become easy. It's not, but I know I need to do those miles too if I want to maintain (or even improve!) the speed I already have.

Stay with it!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Hey, thanks for the shout out! I'm really so inspired by all the mileage you log. On the road, in the pool, on the bike...I may need to give triathalons some more consideration... Still have to qualify for Boston, first, though! Which means I need to do some more speed work, too...

7:38 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I'll have to pick up the Noakes book(I have the Daniels book). I've seen it but have been intimidated by its gargantuan size. Too many people have recommended it though so need to re-visit it. Tri's are easy Nic...marathons by comparison ALWAYS hurt (i'm sure you know that!)

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home