Friday, March 31, 2006

Baby Steps

Just couldn't stop thinking about the number of days since my last run so went back and forth today regarding whether I should throw in a "test-run" to see how the calf / shin was healing. On the one hand, I was worried about getting on the leg too early and making it worse but, on the other hand, it was too beautiful out there today to avoid the outdoors. I ended up going for two loops around the campus chip trail...figured the least I could do was run on a soft surface. First few steps I was very tentative and felt a light ache but nothing like the pain I felt 11 days ago....was feeling good so I decided to increase the pace a bit on the second loop....still no problems....ache was still there but not getting any worse.....after two loops, I really wanted to keep going but remembered how I got myself into this predicament and killed it....baby steps back...

Run Stats
4 Miles Total
30:14 Total Time
15:30 Loop 1 (7:45/mile pace)
14:44 Loop 2 (7:22/mile pace)
164 HR ave (Z2)

Work was pretty dead today with a lot of people heading out earlier this week to take advantage of spring break with the kiddos.....so took off a bit early myself so I could get in my swim / pool run at the gym. Nice to get the workouts out of the way earlier tonight.

Swim Stats
3000 Yards Total
47:40 Total Time
1 x 3000 Free

Jumped out of the pool and immediately strapped on the Aqua-jogger belt and got back in for a pool run.

Pool Run Stats
30 Minutes
Mix of Intervals to keep it interesting

Even had enough time to hit the grocery store for an ace bandage to keep my calf nice and iced and what?! Ben&Jerrys Twofer?! Not even two for six bucks....the killer two for FIVE deal ....got one old standby and one flavor I haven't tried (Dublin Mudslide)....will have to give it a go.

Tomorrow it looks like it is going to rain buckets if the rain right now is any indication....planning to head out with Steven for a bike ride so it should be a nice WET one.

Hope things are looking a little drier in your neck of the woods!

*Peace*

3 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

Woops. Don't know what happened there.

So envious of the Ben & Jerry's. I hate lactose intolerance. So often I find myself looking at my stomach asking, "Can't we all just get along in there?"

Watch yourself with the shin splint. You have a long long long year ahead of you. 11 Days is nothing compared to 11 weeks, OK?

9:58 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Nic who isn't lactose intolerant these days?! Gonna let a little stomach issue keep you from the boys?! Say it aint so!

I hear you on the shin splint- thanks!

8:51 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I have been catching up on my reading, and really enjoy your blog - I'll add it to my blogroll list.

Good luck in Boston! There are a bunch of bloggers running it, so I feel like I can live vicariously through you all while watching it on OLN. Looking forward to your journey to IMC06, too!

PS - I am a Nike loyalist. I faltered last year when I tried Mizuno end of 2004-2005. Not too bad, but ahhh, to be back in the Nikes.

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home