Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Pool Running - Try It!

Unfortunately my physical therapy appt. was cancelled because the Therapist was out sick. I called the head PT at the gym to see if I could get a phone consult with her and she was nice enough to squeeze me into her busy schedule tomorrow. Don't ever doubt the power of begging and the waterworks (tears)- it works! ;-)

I am hoping she will be dropping some mad science on me so that I can treat this darn soleus issue aggressively for the next 3 weeks. She did mention that pool running is great therapy while you are dealing with this type of injury so I gave it a go today. Both Rob and Shelley commented that they rehab'd injuries with pool running and IMMike also mentioned a vote of confidence from the PT's he works with so definitely feeling a bit better about this alternative training method.

I was pleasantly surprised with the actual workout. It may be due to the novelty factor right now but I actually enjoyed pool running. After warming up, I got my effort level up a bit and just motored in the deep end. It was a bit weird, though, watching people swimming by me in the nearby lanes while I was sweating and not moving forward or in any direction that much.

Pool Running Stats
45 Minutes Total
Easy 5 minute warm-up
40 minutes steady

Post work, I hit the bike for an hour. Since the injury isn't aggravated by cycling, figured I'd just start hitting the bike a bit harder. Push the big cookie people!

Bike Stats
Tri-bike Trainer
1 Hour Total
10 minute warm-up
45 minutes (alternating 3 minute BIG gear intervals with 3 minutes easy)
5 minute cool down

*peace*

4 Comments:

Blogger Born To Endure said...

Good for you, I know it can be boring, but it will be good for you!! Keep it up!!

5:08 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

That must be hard. To move hard but not moving physically at all.

I saw someone doing it last night too. He was in the lane that the community pool set up for lane swimming. So there was all this ppl swimming pass him.

Do u touch the bottom of the pool when u pool run?

9:59 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Yay! You know, I am probably more likely to get into a pool to RUN than I am to SWIM. So I'll try it sometime...

12:23 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey Shelley - the pool running isn't too bad...definitely can get your HR rate up where you want it to be....legs felt fine to boot.
Cliff- you don't touch the bottom the flotation belt keeps you right at chin level in the water- pretty nice.
Mike- looking forward to hearing about your loooong ride!
Nic- gotta try everything at least once right!?

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home