Saturday, April 01, 2006

Solid Chamois Time

With running on the backburner right now, I was finally able to meet Steven in person for a ride. I decided to ride to his house (13.5 miles) but didn't take the signal lights into account (and I seemed to hit every red on the way there) so was pushing it to make it by the 8am start when I got a flat a couple miles from his house. I haven't flatted all year and the day I am meeting someone for a ride, I flat...nice.

Finally made it to his house and was able to check out his new Scott Plasma in person....photos don't do the bike justice......that is a VERY LIGHT and sexy piece of carbon fiber. Unfortunately, he kept it parked in the garage with the clouds and rain in the forecast.

Not sure of the complete route but it was really nice to get out on a new route...expanding your horizons and meeting nice people are a good thing. I wasn't expecting all of the climbing since Steven mentioned a "flatter ride" but nice to get some hillwork in.....obviously he has a different perspective on what is considered a "hilly ride"! We rolled through Hillsboro, Bethany, Banks, Helvetia.....just the towns I remember off the top of my head. We passed a ton of cyclists...probably saw more cyclists today then in all of my training this year around my typical loop.

The tough part of the ride was the tail-end of the ride after we were done with the hills....the wind was relentless and, in open farmland, there was nowhere to hide. My legs felt like doo-doo at that point but we kept it rolling. Steven is a cool dude- he stayed out of his aero-bars all day since I didn't have any....he could have dropped into the aeros and ridden away from me but rode alongside me on the hoods taking his lumps.

And of course, with all the rain in the forecast, our ride was pretty much rain-free until we were within minutes of his house.....darn weather forecasts. Overall, a solid day in the saddle....hit a small stretch of rain after I left Steven's on the way home but it was a good thing since it justified all the rain gear I wore today.

Bike Stats
80 Miles Total
5:03 Total Ride Time
15.96 mph ave
140 HR Ave (Z1)

Hope you are all out there making your adventures happen this weekend!

*Peace*

3 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Mike,

Sounds like my ride today. Except I have some little hills which my legs were dead tired from yesterday's hill run.

The wind was gusting non stop. It wasn't 50 degrees outside (weatherman pulled an April Fool on me).

It was fun nevertheless.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Nice ride. Seems like this is turning into meet your fellow bloggers weekend, you and Steve, Jeff and Drew, ShoreTurtle and Al, ShoreTurtle and Danny. It's a good thing.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Hey Mike,
Thanks for showing up for the ride today. I enjoyed the company! Hopefully next time we can ride in some sun without all the layers of gear on.
Take it easy and I'll see you later...

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home