Friday, April 13, 2007

Weather Alert

WHOA...skirough, in her comment, mentioned a letter sent to all racers and how it was going to be an "interesting" race. Not sure how much fun I'll have out there but I'm sure it will be "interesting". Also, I'm hoping the weather forecasts are off - it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

I just found this in my inbox:

April 13, 2007
Weather Advisory - 2007 Boston Marathon
The Boston Athletic Association's medical team recommends the following precautions and advice for participants in Monday's Boston Marathon:
FORECAST:
The most up-to-date weather forecast calls for a predicted Spring storm on Monday, including heavy rains (potentially 3 to 5 inches), with the start temperatures in the mid to upper 30's. Wind will likely be East (in the face of the participants for most of the race) in the 20 to 25 mile per hour range, with gusts to as much as 50 miles per hour. This will produce a wind chill index of 25 to 30-degrees Fahrenheit.

Assuming they are correct in their forecast, I'd say that would add AT LEAST 30 minutes to any predicted finish time. I know I'll be looking for any drafting pacelines forming out there...misery loves company and taking turns in the wind sure beats facing it for the whole 26.2

If you happen to catch this, feel free to revise your initial projection in this post. No hard feelings! ;-)
Yes, I'm used to running in cold / wet but running in HEAVY RAINS and 20-25mph headwinds isn't usually part of of my training week! I gotta remind myself that I love this stuff right!?

Ladies and Gentlemen, the captain has put on the fasten seatbelt sign. Please settle in for the bumpy ride ahead.....

*Peace*

8 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

Have a great run, my friend.

Weather be damned...as one pro triathlete likes to say about it "I bring my own weather!"

Go get it done in fine fashion and make me proud.

3:21:30

9:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm... revising to 3:25:35. But if it's not windy, I wanna stick with my original bet... :)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

p.s. GOOD LUCK! No matter how fast you run, it will be FAST and I can't wait to hear all the details!

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing 3:28:48...those conditions are HORRID. For once, I'm glad I'm too slow to qualify...

Have fun, somehow...and good luck.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

Oh man... I can't wait for this race report..

12:00 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Mike! I've been away for so long - I missed your ENTIRE training! I hope you were able to jump in the puddles and sing and dance in the rain. Run down that dream, baby!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Well????? We are all waiting patiently for your report! (ok, not so patiently).

11:01 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Mike,

how did it go???

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home