Sunday, March 04, 2007

Today was a good day....

My training this weekend had a rough start with my run on Saturday. I took off from home and was just clicking along until I got to right around the 3 mile mark and was hit with the same heel issue from a couple weeks ago. The pain was bad enough to force me to stop and decide that I better cut this run short. It definitely was NOT a fun 3 miles on the way home. A couple weeks ago, I had assumed it was being caused by worn out shoes but I just swapped out to a new pair last week so I'm thinking it was my orthotics. I had a great podiatrist down in SoCal and would make annual visits to replace my orthotics but since I moved up to Oregon I just haven't made the time to find a really good doc. I realized my orthotics are about 3 years old now- not good!

Just to test the orthotics theory, I went for a run this morning (i know stoopid taking chances) but I used a pair of Nike Cesiums which have "orthotic-like" stability built right into the shoe. It is pretty lightweight vs. typical motion control shoes, especially when you consider the weight of a typical MC shoe plus the custom orthotic. My run was great...very minimal heel pain and that wasn't until I was around the 10 mile mark and it probably had more to do with the damage I did yesterday running with blown out orthotics. I ended up running an aerobic 13.1 miles over a rolling course with a couple good hills.

Run
13.1 miles
1:39:40

After the run, I got a quick bite to eat and then ended up doing a "reverse-brick" by heading out on the bike. Yes, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've only been on the bike twice this year (including today) and I was paying for it. But it was nice to get out there and get shelled. It was only 2.5 hours spinning in the small ring the whole way but it kicked my butt- I was loving it though! I was able to check out the old familiar route including the spot where I took a header over the aerobars going 20mph+ last year! *note to self - be more careful this year!*

Bike
41.5 miles
2.5 hours

So here's a picture of my bat cave where I keep all the bikes...except for the new one..she gets to stay inside for awhile! ;-) You can never have too many eh? But I've kept it down to what makes sense...allow me to justify!
You have to have a mountainbike in your stable for the dirty stuff, the crossbike with fenders for the wet stuff, the roadbike for the base miles, and the dedicated computrainer bike in a nice anodized purple if you can find it (obviously I did)! The KM40 has been sold so that one doesn't even count...not to bad eh?



The best thing about the ride today was the fact that I got to ride this bike.


I know, you'r thinking so what right? Notice it doesn't have fenders? YES, Mother Nature blessed us with sunny weather on a weekend!! I took full advantage of it and I'm glad I did since we have rain on the forecast for the next week! ugh!

I hope you all were out there making your adventures happen!

*Peace*

12 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

How come I only have one bike? You lucky dude. Now I know why you had to sell shoes to support your bike habit.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Any Ironman in a future? Did I miss somethins?

9:27 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Oh great! While I'm not working out at all this weekend you're out running half-mary's and riding 40+ miles! You're just wanting to drop me big time on our ride this Saturday aren't you!

Ain't gonna happen Mr. Man!

Glad the heel thing looks manageable. Get yourself a foot quack pronto!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

I am glad to hear that perhaps your heel issue is on the mend. Injuries suck big time - especially with spring right around the corner.

I just wrote a post concerning my agonizing over buying a new bike to replace the one I have and then I see your bikes! I am in awe of all that hardware.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Whoa- I must be giving everyone the wrong impression. I didn't go on some crazy bike buying binge..several of those bikes are 5-6 years old...I guess I have a problem letting go! ;-)

I'm all about paring down in the new millenium...letting go...aaaah yes!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Mike,

I love your basement...

I see that since I only have one bike..i have a lot to catch up.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

I am jealous of your bike racks and space.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Crash said...

shocks...pegs...lucky! You ever take 'em off any sweet jumps?

2:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Quite a collection, Mike. Hopefully we'll get some more of this spring like weather.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, those are some HOT bikes.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Oh man ... I have all kinds of bike envy right now. I need to visit your garage someday.

7:02 PM  
Blogger JeffM said...

I had bike envy seeing the new one on Deb's blog- now seeing your stable I'm really jealous. That would be nice to have one for each situation!

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home