Thursday, March 01, 2007

Lab Rat

This week has just flown by...actually the whole month of February seems to be a blur looking back. I can't believe it's almost been a month since I've ran the marathon or any long run for that matter. I think my longest run has been 12 miles since the race on 2/4 so I'm planning to make one more push of solid training before Boston on 4/16. I'll have enough time for a 4 week push with a 2 weeek race taper. Here we go again.

While the longer stuff has been sorely lacking, I have pushed up the intensity on my regular runs to make up for the duration issue. I figure there are two ways to "stoke the fire" at this point...either distance or intensity and with a million things going on, it's easier to get in the intensity. It's all good.

In other news, I've been quite the lab rat at work this week with 2 trips into the NSRL (Nike Sport Research Lab). I make myself available whenever they need volunteers since it is pretty interesting stuff and you never know what they may be testing. The first test was pretty interesting and involved shoes. They were testing the cushioning of 4 different shoes so I ended up having to run through a section of high speed cameras while they had sensors on the shoe and my leg. It had to be at a 7 min pace so had to get that dialed in but did 4-5 passes with each shoe....not sure what the results were...they are pretty tight-lipped about that stuff.

The second test involved garment testing so had to run 4 x 10 minutes on a treadmill at a 8min pace while they took my HR / V02...definitely sub threshold so not sure what they were measuring but I did get something out of my services. The two conducting this test said they would squeeze me into the lab for a blood lactate / Anaerobic Threshold ramp test with the typical protocol so that I can dial in my running zones- SWEET!! I'll be heading in for that testing in a couple weeks so looking forward to getting some accurate training zones based on lactate levels vs. the older zones I've been using.

We're almost there people...have a great weekend!

*Peace*

5 Comments:

Blogger Spokane Al said...

I will be looking forward to your report on the upcoming tests.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

It would be fun to be a lab rat for Nike!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Habeela said...

I think you must have the coolest job ever!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The testing sounds pretty cool especially since you don't have to ingest anything and then find out what the side effects are. It sounds like you won't have any life threatening issues from running in different pairs of shoes.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Sweeet.

do they feed u cheese as well?

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home