Sunday, January 07, 2007

Happy Belated New Year!!

I know I'm a week late but wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year. It's nice to start the year off with a fresh clean slate and make the necessary changes to hit your 07 goals. One of my key goals is to be a bit more disciplined about my eating habits. I think I have a pretty clean diet already but plan on tightening the reigns a bit. I think I have always used exercise as an excuse to unhinge my jaw and throw in whatever I want without any regard to calories or amount- NOT GOOD!!

Going forward, I'm going to definitely be a bit more disciplined so that I can get down to an ideal race weight (and work off that 5lbs that I gained over the holidays!!). Eat green and organic whenever possible and limit the calories in the evening.

Things have been rolling along on the running front. I won't bore you with the details ...actually a bit too lazy at the moment to look up the actual details...but ran 72.5 miles this week and even got in two bike rides. I capped the week off with some solid weekend training:

Saturday
2.5 hr bike ride with the Ironheads (38 miles, 2K climbing)
10 mile run - late afternoon
I'm looking forward to training with the Ironheads and joining Steven there- pretty darn competitive group with some fast guys / gals. It should provide great motivation!

Sunday
I "enjoyed" a miserable 20 mile run in pouring rain (thank God for Goretex) with a serious dose of wind. I was so glad when that was over. Running into headwind SUCKS - It made me think of Steven racing out there this morning in that rain /wind. He is not having much luck in the weather dept. for his running races in the past couple of months- I'm sure he did awesome though...will have to check in to read his race report.

We have been getting slammed with rain for quite awhile now so hoping that the weather gods predicting sunshine / clouds *No Rain* for Thurs of next week thru the weekend, hit the mark!

Have a great week!

*Peace*

11 Comments:

Blogger Olga said...

Happy belated to you too:) Good start, today sucked up until 3 pm or so. I want winter to be over already!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Happy New Year! We sure had some nice weather when you were down here over Christmas, huh?

I'm right there with you on rationalizing the food, but finally the intake has overtaken the effort. There's no time like the present to get serious. I've either got to eat better or run twice as far. Neither option is a slam dunk.

10:38 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

That was quite a weekend workout. I'm totally impressed.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Habeela said...

72.5 miles?! Please tell me you're not in off-season training still?!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

Mike,
Good to see your are still doing well.. 3 weeks without an update is too long!
Your run mileage is awesome, now get out there and start ramping up the bike time! :)
Hey, if you are interested, the winner of IMC '06, Jasper Blake, will answer your questions at this message board:
http://www.hrtchat.com
Cheers mate,
Darren

11:28 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Hey Mike -
The weather SUCKED yesterday, yes? Good for you for getting out there in it.
Keep it rolling, dude.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Good to have you back Mike! We have missed you.

It also good to see that you keep rocking in the running dept. You are truly an inspiration.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Can't believe you logged 72 miles of running this week! Hard-core. 20 miles in the rain? No thanks!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice to have you back Mike. The weather has been a bit ugly outside. I ran at the Nike track during Christmas and made a cut down the hill to cross over to the nature reserve and had a nice slide in the mud in front of the cars along Jay Street, I think that's the name of the street. Then I found out the trails at the nature reserve were closed off due to the wind storm so I ended up looping out on the roads.

Keep up the hard training.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Happy New Year, Mike! 72.5 miles in a week plus bike rides? You're an animal. I think you deserve those Snickers bars, but I'll support your efforts to eat the organic stuff!

The rain in SF hasn't been too bad yet, but the wind has been awful. No matter which direction I run I feel like I'm running into the wind. Makes those miles count double, I think!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey there Mike! I may not be Iron, but I am striving for Olympic this year. Getting out of the 'just for the health of it' mindset and into a tasty goal. Being blessed with excellent weather and terrain...I have not one excuse not to kick it up a notch!

Thanks for your inspiration on the journey! You are really on fire out there. ~j

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home