Sunday, October 29, 2006

It's All About The Run

I spoke to Steven today regarding his marathon. He ran a VERY SOLID race on a day with less then perfect conditions......actually let me re-phrase that- he ran in BRUTAL running conditions. Mother Nature can deal a cruel hand at times. I don't want to spoil it so will wait for him to post his report (hopefully soon). You kicked ass Steven- good on ya!

My running has been going pretty well. I have continued to ramp up the mileage while running aerobically and have continued to see improvement...baby steps but I'll take it. Several weeks ago, I could barely keep my HR under 160 while shuffling along and now I am running faster while running closer to a HR of 150. I'm going to try and keep it under 150 going forward.

Many people may make the train slow, race slow argument with this focus but it really isn't about training slowly. It's about improving your aerobic base so that you will see improvements in speed while running at the same aerobic HR's. Also, once you throw in the harder / faster stuff, you have a much better foundation and be less prone to injury. At least that's what I tell myself as I force myself to keep it easy right now!

Here are a couple good links on training aerobically (and before anyone mentions it, yes- I know that using 180 - your age is really not a good way to calc training zones. I guess the take away is to just run easy *notice I didn't say slow!*) :

http://www.duathlon.com/articles/1460
http://www.trinewbies.com/Article.asp?ArticleID=153
http://www.rrca.org/resources/articles/slowdown.html
http://www.counterpartcoaching.com/hadd.pdf

Running numbers for the last week. My legs are sore with the increase in mileage but will keep chopping unless my body tells me otherwise. Actually it is protesting a bit now with some slight soreness in the right knee but it seems to work itself out by the time I am ready to lace the shoes up again for another go.

Run Summary - Week of 10/23
7 days running
63 Miles Total
Mon 6
Tue 5
Wed 5
Thu 8
Fri 10
Sat 21
Sun 8

Have a great week!
*Peace*

11 Comments:

Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

G'day Mike,

Nice post. I'm following a very similar training protocol to you. Low hr, high frequency running program.
It's been working very well for me also. At the moment I limit my long run to 90mins but I'm working towards doing 2 of these. The key is not letting yourself lose form while you run. Running slow is a great way to do this and also imprve your form and efficiency.
I actually run at a hr alot lower then you ie 125-135bpm with the top of my zone 1 being 142bpm. It is a shuffle intially but the improvements do come quick and you can really push out the endurance envelope while maintaining perfect form.

Goodluck

10:52 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

That's a nice solid week of miles no matter how you slice it.

The more I read about training with a HRM the more I think I may need to try one. It may just help me get to the next level.

Looking for another solid week this week.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Habeela said...

Great articles! The very first time I started thinking about doing a tri, was the year that Mark Allen wrote that article. I remember it distinctly because at that point training aerobically for me meant walking and I just couldn't force myself to do it.

Now it means figuring out how to improve my cadence on the bike while training aerobically. If it's not one thing it's another. :)

7:45 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Mike,

I have been reading Gordo's article and his blog. I also have been reading other tri training books.

The overall idea that is repeated over and over again is the need to build a strong aerobic base.

This means training in low HR.

I figure if a pro like Gordo that has been training for years and still focus on training in low HR, I should be as well.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

Mike, what are you currently training for?

I remember "Hadd" being all the rage awhile ago. I had a couple of friends that kind of got in his "inner-circle" and were working really closely with him. However, they never seemed to improve. I think it was because they weren't running enough miles (i.e. < 60 mpw).

10:15 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Mike.

And nice job on the running...63 miles is a LOT. Be careful

11:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like your building that base back up. Good luck on the continued increases in mileage.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey all,

Thanks for the comments! Hopefully going to keep making the aerobic push, feet willing.

Zeke- currently training for the Pac Shoreline Mary in Feb'07- running enough miles will be a challenge for me...hopefully will be able to push my averages up into the 60-70+ category here soon!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

Eep! You are logging 60+ miles already? I have some catching up to do! Just be careful Mike, an off season injury would suck. (I suppose an injury anytime would suck..:)
Stay healthy,
Darren

4:23 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Ouch, that's some mileage!! Thanks for the links - I will need help to come back:)

11:10 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

And, as Rob mentoned in his comment, Oleg is not in that picture:) He is too skinny to fit in a picture...

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home