Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Lesson Learned

No way around it, if you are trying to define yourself as a "runner", you have to run. After taking close to a month off (I ran twice in the 3+ weeks after IMC), I've found that all hell has broken loose....my body is revolting big time.

Note to self- extended breaks aren't a good idea...dial it back, yes. But don't shut it down!

It ain't pretty but I've been putting in a few miles in the last week and hoping my fitness kicks in here real quick.....I'm getting higher HR's and generally feeling like crap when I run....not good. I deserve this though with my lack of activity in the last couple of weeks....don't even get me started on me feets. It is getting better though so that is a plus....today was much easier then last thursday....

Running Updates
Thursday
Run
5 miles
40 minutes

Friday
Run
40:15
5 miles
2 x 2 mile loop
16:10
16:14
7:50 (1mile)
165 HR

Saturday
Run Double
am
47:29 ~5.75 miles
163 HR
pm
3 miles (including 1 x 400 @ 1:27)

Sunday
Bike
54 miles
3:07
HR 138
I cracked like Floyd Landis at about the 45 mile mark- felt like crap...can't believe I did an Ironman a month ago....

Monday
Run
41:45
5 miles
159HR

Tuesday
Run
2 x 2mile loop
16:09
15:29
Cut this run short....we are currently experiencing a run of beautiful WARM weather and I was melting out there

Wednesday
41:28
5 miles
156 HR

Did you catch that ambitious double on Saturday? Actually ran with my good friend Matt who was in town, over the weekend, scouting out Oregon with his wife, Cindy, and lil one Cruz. He wanted to check out the Nike campus / chip trail so ended up doing a couple easy miles around the loop with him in the pm...also, showed him the nice track on campus where I had to school that youngster with my blazing 400 speed. *joking here*

Matt doesn't really know it yet but he will probably end up plunking down the family in Oregon somewhere....it is just too beautiful here Matt.....don't fight it brother!

Hope you all have been keepin it rollling!

*Peace*

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to see you back running. It will all start coming back soon and I am sure the warm weather is not going to last too much longer. I am actually looking forward to the cool fall weather.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

It's cliche, I know, but I'm pretty sure you'll be back in no time.
18 weeks or so, that's plenty of time to get ready for Pacific Shoreline.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Lots of running! Running is my favorite. Yeah, long breaks bad. Consistent workouts good. Only thing is--I'm an all-or-nothing kind of gal so it can be kind of hard to find that moderation point.

1:23 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Mike,

I can't wait to this sat when i run with my friend. She plan to run 17 km and I might do a bit more depend on how i feel.

I am just letting my calfs rest up from my dual last Sat. Hmm..going back on the road is too good.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Keep moving forward, Mike. Little by little it will get easier each time out the door.

C-ya tomorrow!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

Brother Mike,
If its' any consolation, I've been even MORE lazier than you since IMC. (went for my first run on Tues - it wasn't pretty.)

I find that extended breaks are good thing. Sort of wipes the slate clean, gives you time to set goals and focus for next year. Plus gives the ol body some extra time to repair.
Like you, next year is going to 'running focused' - ha, I thought this year was. Ok, '07 is going to be ' seriously running focused'. :)
Cheers!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

Ahhhh but those long breaks feel oh so good....they just pull you in. Keep at it...we need our ol Mike back!!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Mike,

I am glad to see that you are back. I thought that perhaps you had taken up permanent residence in Beervana and you were considering changing the name of your blog to Chuggin' with the Drinker Within.

Anyway, you guys in OR are tough and you will soon be back rockin' once again on the road before you know it.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Habeela said...

Don't be so hard on yourself - from what I've been reading everyone's been complaining that their training sessions post IM are just awful. One step at a time and you'll be back in no time.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Yep, exactly my point of been scared to take a break - and my coaches both suggested to take full 2 months!
I am glad you found your way back:) May be I'll get faster one day and we can train together...ha! nice dream:)

10:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm, if I'm gonna come down and do a Hagg Lake brick with you guys I need to time it perfectly so you're just coming off an IM and I'm at my peak running performance. Then maybe I can keep up.

6:29 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Ha! It's sad how fast we can lose our running fitness! Although, I daresay that you haven't lost it! :)
Keep it up - you are such a strong athlete you will be kicking it old school in no time!

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home