Friday, August 18, 2006

The Excitement Continues....

I'm still alive and kicking out here although you wouldn't know it by my absence out on the blogosphere. My training as been going well although I had a MAJOR hiccup tonight. I'll get to that soon but let me get caught up on the last week of training.

Monday
Swim
2500 Yards Total
5 x 500 Free Easy
50 Minutes

Lazy Tuesday
OFF

Wednesday
Lunch Swim
58 Minutes
3000 Yards Total
1 x 1000 Free
1 x 250 drills
1 x 500 Pull
1 x 1000 Free
1 x 250 Drills

Post Work Bike
2:03 Time
40.1 Miles
19.5 MPH
133 HR

Thursday
Lunch Run Chip Trail
37:18
5 Miles Total
2 x 2 mile
15:02
14:48
1 mile
7:27
156 HR

Friday
You would think I have had enough excitement during this taper with the ER visit last week but had a little excitement on the bike tonight. I was 4 miles from home and riding on autopilot when I crashed my bike!! I am always paranoid during the taper because of all the horror stories I've heard of people getting injured, etc during the last 2-3 weeks and ruining their race. I've had a pretty good record up until today but all it took was one moment where I wasn't paying attention and my luck ran dry.

I was cruising along at a pretty good clip and glanced to the right for a bit too long. I'm not even sure what I was looking at but when I glanced forward I had just enough time to see that I was heading off the road into some pretty thick gravel. I did have enough time to get out of the aerobars and grab the hoods and while glancing down, I saw that I was going 22 mph....great......I fought the crash, tried to keep the rubber side down but my front wheel turned sharp right and launched me over the bars. My "flight" didn't last too long before I came crashing down on my left shoulder / left side of my face & helmet. To add insult to injury, my bike followed me and ended up on top of me. Of course I jumped up real quick ala Pee Wee "I meant to do that" Herman and checked out my bike. No noticeable damage there. The shoulder of my jersey was pretty chewed up and my sunglasses were pretty scraped up but protected most of my face so that was good thing. Thank god I was wearing a helmet too...took a pretty good impact there on the front left of the helmet. My left shoulder is pretty darn sore and I have some road rash there. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how bad it really is (hope my slow swimming isn't too affected, I don't need any handicap in that dept!!) I did run after I got off the bike and no issues there except for the sore shoulder.

On a happier note, the legs seem to be coming around. I am going faster while effort levels seem to be the same so hoping to get fresher through next week. I am definitely shutting down the road riding at this point...well maybe one more ride outside this weekend but I will be very careful. Next week it will be 100% trainer for any cycling.

Friday
Brick Workout
2:57 Total Time

Bike
2:28
50 Miles
20.1 MPH
137 HR Ave

Run
28:43 Time
4 Miles
163 HR

It was pretty warm out there tonight and it looks like it is going to be a hot one this weekend. I'm glad I'm tapering and not going long in that heat. Have a great weekend and whatever you choose to do, BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!

*Peace*

12 Comments:

Blogger Lora said...

Whew....glad you're okay. That must have been scary.

You're a week away from the race, right. They say things run in threes--so you're due for one more mishap! Yikes! I say stay in bed under the covers.....have your food delivered and only leave to go to the bathroom!!!!! Can you blog in bed??????

3:18 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yikes. That sucks!

I'm glad that you're ok. I hope the shoulder feels better or at least gets better quickly!

Did the bike suffer any damage? If so, maybe it's better if you don't point it out. I'm not sure I could stand the sight of seeing a beautiful bike damaged. It would be too much.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

That was close....I have done moments of crash with bike landing on top of me...at least the bike is ok :)

5:46 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Holy crap, Mike! Can't I leave you alone for even a second without you going out and trying to hurt yourself?

I thought I taught you better then that!

I'm glad you're OK, buddy. But BE CAREFUL out there. It was too close to IMC for those shenanigans!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear you are ok Mike. I'll be gone next week so good luck at IMC. Stay safe and I can't wait to read your report.

8:55 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Ouch. Glad that you are okay, and the crash wasn't worse! Take it easy, and safe! Good luck at your race. Look forward to hearing your report.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Whew, that was a close one. I hope there aren't any lingering effects. For sure "be careful out there"!!!!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Habeela said...

Kind of scary! Glad it's just a sore shoulder. Just think of it this way: you're getting the crashes out of the way before the race.

7:55 PM  
Blogger qcmier said...

Glad your crash wasn't serious.

That race day can't come soon enough.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Oh man...what a bummer about the crash. Glad you're mostly OK, although you'll be feeling that road rash for a while still.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hope everything is okay! That's everyone's worst nightmare.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Wipeouts liek that really suck. At least there was no major damage to yourself or your bike. My last one like that was on ice at the bottom of a hill. Thankfully the hill was also my driveway and I was able to limp back up the hill stow the bike and bus it to work.

Good luck with your race.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home