Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Recovery Week

I'm currently backing the volume waaay off this week to rest / recover so that I can hit the 3 week taper / peak for Canada feeling decent. After 3 successive 20+ hour weeks of training, it's funny how your body becomes accustomed to the fatigue and it almost feels "normal". I'm hoping my body gets a chance to right itself this week. I feel like I could keep it rolling but I've been at the start of too many races feeling flat so will err on the side of caution.

The only issue is trying to map out my training for the next 3 weeks. I have been reviewing the tapers from my 02 / 03 Canada training plans and will probably try to piece one together using workouts from both. I know I was pretty flat on the start line for 03 and probably did too much volume in the last 3 weeks that year.....hmmm.....hard to figure this training mumbo-jumbo out.

Monday
TOTAL REST DAY

Tuesday
Lunch Run
5 miles
39:50
152 HR Z1

Wednesday
Lunch Run
5 miles
39:49
150 HR Z1

Swim Post Work
1 x 3500 Free
59:42

Just doing easy workouts....keeping the effort level way down. Strange that I haven't had a chance to get on the bike yet this week...will have to give it a go tomorrow. The days are flying by and I'm dancing as fast as I can!

*Peace*

8 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

I love the feeling of slight fatigue from constantly training as well.

Have a good recovery week.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

"...3 successive 20+ hour weeks of training..."

Awesome.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hate you for running sub-8s in Zone 1.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Nice and easy from here on out, Dude.

Better to under-trained than over-trained, right? But you are NOT under-trained at this point.

Keep it going...but a little easier now.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Good for you. You deserve the rest. You can't gain any real fitness at this point, so better to over-rest than over-train.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think I am going to follow your lead. I have a run the same weekend and I am thinking I need to back off rather than try to fit some more in. Enjoy some rest and stay fresh.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I, too, have felt like I didn't really need a recovery week. I have to consciously remind myself that the body only can realize the gains during training while it's recovering. I think that's a hard concept for many of us to grasp, myself included!

You must be thrilled to taper and see Canada right around the corner! Enjoy the lighter volume. You certainly deserve it!!

6:26 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

It is amazing how the body gets used to consistent massive training weeks. I find that in many ways I have more difficulty handling the taper part.

Keep up the great posts. I am always amazed and in awe of your epic rides.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home