Friday, August 11, 2006

Good News

Well this whole heart scare has thrown a huge monkey wrench in my Ironman Canada taper. I had my tentative taper mapped out but this week it was more of what I didn't do vs. actual workouts.

Good news is that after spending all morning getting tested at the Cardiologist office this morning, I checked out ok. I had a nuclear stress test including the treadmill stress test. The nurse made a funny comment about me being the only person she has ever seen outrun the treadmill during this test (I hit the highest level before I hit 85% of my max HR). Uhhhh....since her typical patient is probably 65+ with heart problems, not sure if I should take that as a compliment!

No problems with my arteries or heart...the only issue is a very slight thickening of the heart muscle but the cardiologist mentioned that this is typical for someone doing extensive aerobic exercise. Re: the heart palpitations that initially caused me to see a doc, he stated they are pretty normal and just to monitor it....if accompanied by any dizziness, call a doc!

I know way more then I want to know about the heart and how it functions now.....

Now the bad news.....he said it would probably be a good idea to cut out the caffiene........is that nuts or what!?!?

Ok, that is all for my "too much information" segment....bottom line, everything looks good. I feel VERY LUCKY!! I also wanted to thank everyone for their support, nice comments, emails etc....very much appreciated. If any of you are feeling "off" or having any chest discomfort or any issues for that matter, GO SEE A DOCTOR.....don't take a chance with your health

Time to rock this little race in Canada!

Training Stats

Thursday
Bike Stats
Computrainer
1 Hour
135HR
Richter Pass course plus easy spinning to make an hour
(Stats to top of Richter: 6.87 miles / 11.9mph / 177 watts Ave / 84 Cadence / 34 minutes)

Friday
Bike Stats
2:12 Total Time
42.3 Miles
19.2 MPH Ave
131 HR
Very windy ride..felt like I was in a wind tunnel the whole time.....one of the disadvantages of riding in the afternoon around here. **Steven- I rode up Blooming Fern and noticed that someone had posted a sign on the guardrail (Blooming Fern 16% grade)....not sure how accurate that is but it's gotta be pretty close...no wonder that hill hurts!!

Have a great weekend out there- make it happen!

*peace*

9 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

Excellent news on the heart issue, Mike. Very glad to hear it.

Now you have no excuse for not tearing it up in Canada in !2! weeks!

16% at Blooming Fern? Is that all? Given that we always hit that dang climb towards the end of most rides no wonder it always hurts SO MUCH.

Enjoy the taper. 2 weeks from right now - we're in Penticton dude!!!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm glad that everything checked out OK with you. Very good news, indeed.

If you can do Richter's on the CT, it's going to be a breeze when you get out there. I always think that hills that are simulated on the CT are *WAY* harder than they are out there on the read roads.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Lora said...

Whew!! So glad to hear you're fine. Don't worry about a little caffeine--you need a vice dont ya?

Gosh....2 weeks left? Can't wait to hear how it goes. Got a goal race for afterwards? Don't want to see you get depressed when this is all over.

3:47 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Mike, glad to hear the heart is A okay..u are so gonna rock IMC.

16%...dang that's steep.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Definitely good news with the heart thing. Giving up the caffiene, at least for the short term, can't be all that bad or can it? Enjoy the next two weeks and go for it in Canada!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Glad to hear all systems are go. Enjoy the rest of the taper.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am not sure how I totally missed out on the heart scare, but I am glad to hear you are good to go.

2 weeks will be here before we know it. Keep it rollin.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

I am very glad to hear the heart issues have been resolved. That must of been a tough one to load on top of the other issues of training for a IM.

Here's hoping that you smoke IM Canada!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

better than a race report!

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home