Sunday, August 13, 2006

Generic Carbo-Pro

I keep forgetting to post about an alternative to Carbo-pro for the many of you that use it out there. I was buying tub after $20 tub of Carbo-Pro and thought there has to be a source for high quality malto out there without having to pay $20 for 3 lbs of the stuff. You can get malto through alot of places but alot of it is of lower quality. You need to get the good stuff! After some research on the net, I found these guys

http://www.grainprocessing.com/food/maldescr.html

They are one of the larger suppliers of malto out there. You want to look at their Maltrin QD (quickly dispersible) line of Malto. Either the M550 or M580 works well and has the proper DE range. They have very knowledgeable people working the phones there and can also set you up with the information for a local distributor. *Scroll to bottom of page for contact info*

Here's the catch....it only comes in 50lb bags. The bags can range from $48 to $52 a bag...I paid $48? up here in Oregon but it was $52 in SoCal thru the LA distributor. Not too much of an issue if you are training high volume or have several people you can share a bag with. I just bought an extra garbage can and used a heavy duty bag liner to store my supply. I currently have about 40-50lbs of the stuff so will not run out anytime soon.

I have used this stuff for the last 3 years and there is no difference between this stuff and Carbo Pro. I think this actually dissolves faster then Carbo Pro and is MUCH CHEAPER ($1 / lb vs. $7/lb for Carbo Pro). Steven has a team member on his tri-team (a doctor and very fast triathlete) who spent time researching the Maltrin QD with his contacts in the nutrition field and now he and many members of the Ironheads use the stuff with great results.

Ok, enough with my Triathlon Public Service Announcement....just trying to save you all some $$'s so you can spend it buying other tri-toys!

*Peace*

8 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

thanks for the annoucement..woah that is super cheap..compare to Carbo-Pro.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Golly - they should sell it in giant feed bags, like they do cornmeal for livestock in animal supply stores.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

50 lb bags? It's like a feed bag for a draft horse! That's cute.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am glad you posted that info again. I upgraded my computer a few weeks ago and lost a lot of my favorite links.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

I have some dumb questions.

Do you mix this stuff with other stuff i.e. Cytomax etc?

Is if flavored?

Do you use it like protein power, and does it have that kind of consistency?

How exactly do you use it and when?

Thanks for helping out a rookie.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Yeah, my boss has one of these 50 lb'ers at Cycle U! It's hilarious. Looks like we have livestock or something. ;)

8:43 PM  
Blogger Comm's said...

I just a similiar post about buying malto from a bulk supplier, great minds think alike huh. Your supplier is cheaper though you are buying much more. I might do that next time though and go in with my team. Thanks for the research. And no PSA is too trival.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Huge. I'm definitely going to pick some of that stuff up for next year. This year... I just don't want to switch out. I know everything should be the same, but mentally I don't want to make any major changes this close out. Ya know?

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home