Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Early 07 Races

I haven't been doing much training lately but I am starting to think about it. That's a start eh?? I'm actually getting excited about the 2007 season. I am currently registered for the following in early 2007:

Pacific Shoreline Marathon Feb 4th, 2007
Boston Marathon April April 16, 2007

Can anyone say run focus?

I plan on following some type of modified Pfitzinger plan that I first caught on Zeke's blog. He has a link to one of Pfitz's training schedules in that post (thanks Zeke!). I also plan on getting some input from Steven regarding how I approach the build. I figure I should get some actual speedwork in this season to get closer to that ever elusive 3 hour marathon. No, I don't have any delusions of grandeur here (about going sub 3) but I also don't think it will be a problem to beat my PR of 3:11 as long as I can stay injury free. Currently, my focus is on tackling the Plantar Fasciitis that has reared its ugly head. It has actually gotten better with my lack of activity in the past 3 weeks but I am still scheduled for a podiatrist visit next Tuesday to make sure I keep it in check.


*Climbing on my soapbox*

There has been alot of ugly comments on certain blogs, always from anonymous bloggers, second guessing an athlete's fitness or, lack thereof, because of an Ironman DNF. It is pretty sad....anyone that has competed in or has been around any ultra endurance events (Ultramarathon, Ironman, etc) is acutely aware that any "nutritional or pacing issues" that arise at that distance are multiplied ten-fold due to the distance. Mother nature can throw some curve balls on race day too. So before you make a comment "Anonymous" about how an athlete DNF'd because he /she didn't train enough / didn't have the fitness / over-estimated their ability, etc etc....maybe do a race yourself or spectate at a race. It isn't all about the fitness.....you'll see many ULTRA FIT athletes reduced to a walk or even a DNF.

It is a very humbling experience

Anyone that has the courage to toe the line on such a long day with truly no guarantee of the outcome should be supported. To arm-chair quarterback their performance after a hard day is poor form and bad karma. There is enough negative energy out there without having to deal with it from within our endurance ohana.

One love people

*climbing off my soapboax*

Peace

13 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Mike, great soapbox...I agree. Everyone likes to criticize.

For the running wise. Did u see the transfer of running marathons into doing a good run in IM?

Pfitzinger is a run focus training plan (obviously). I figure this season and the next few will have a lot of emphasis on running as well. The idea is still rough but the goal is not to run fast but have a good consistent pace in IM. Especially the last 13 miles.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Mike, I'm impressed. I need to really dig deep and find some running motivation, because lately, it just hasn't been there for me.

But I have been scoping out wetsuits and bikes... What does that say?!?!?!?!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Mike,

I agree with your comments concerning blog responses.

I guess it kind of goes with the territory. We lay it all out on the line on race day and sometimes succeed, and sometimes not. Then we lay it out again in our blogs as we willingly share on insight, fears, feelings and conclusions to the world.

I don't mean to pat ourselves on the back, but that process takes a bit of bravery and openness and hopefully those few responses by invisible readers will not cause us to back away from this great sport and this great group of bloggers.

I hope you and the other great bloggers out there will keep writing and keep racing. We are all the better for it.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

No problem, Mike. Heck if you're at 3:11 and going to focus a little more on running, why not go after sub-3? At least keep an open mind.

I can't remember, did you sign up for an IM in 2007?

9:46 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey Cliff, I think a strong IM marathon is probably based on solid bike fitness and not smoking yourself on the bike. It's all about getting off the bike with fresh legs- and of course not letting stooopid nutritional mistakes crush you!;-)

Nic- you have run so many races this year that you really deserve a break! No need to dig deep...take a deep breath, relax and let that motivation come back *naturally*! Re: the bike & wetsuit- don't do it - It's truly a sickness! ;-)

Al- I'm definitely not a great blogger but appreciate the kind words!

Zeke-open mind indeed but just hoping I can get through this PF issue and start training seriously here! I have 4 months that I can focus on running right now- after that I plan on switching to triathlon. How easily I forget the pain i recently endured, I signed up for IM Canada 07!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

Mike, good point on "a strong IM marathon is probably based on solid bike fitness."

I'm no IM expert, but I've seen lots of "great" runners run 5+ hours and "not so great" runners break 4 hours.

I was thinking about this as I walked the dog this morning. If I decide to do a half IM next year, focusing on the run is not really the way to go. How much time better would my run time be if I ran well versus average? Maybe 10-15 minutes. Yet I could probably make up 10 minutes just in the swim if I focused on it. Plus cutting 10 minutes out of a 3 hour bike ride is probably easier than cutting 10 minutes out of a 1.5 hour run.

Sorry to ramble...

5:45 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Mean people suck! I can't imagine criticizing for something like that. Jeez! Anyway, congrats on your recent IM accomplishment. That rocks! And way to already be looking at next race season.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well said on the soapbox Mike and thanks for getting up there. I am sure there could be some negative energy flowing my way after my DNF, but I am glad that everyone took it easy on me. I give myself enough negative thoughts after something like that.

The only way to get sub-3 is to go after it. Assess your fitness, pick a plan, follow it and adjust as needed. I hope to be able to run a couple long runs with you in preparation for your next couple of marathons. Later!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

I'll make a deal with ya, Mike.

If I go sub-3 at Tri-Cities in a few weeks you shoot for sub-3 at Shoreline. Deal?

And we both go 3:30 at Ironman Canada next year!

Deal or no deal?

1:59 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Good soapbox here, and I am with Rob - usually we give ourselves enough criticism. A good vibe helps to heal the bleeding wound of DNF/bad finish. Although a working suggestion always welcome - as long as you know the athlete's training very personal. (like I can kick Rob's butt, but I'll be the first to cut him slack as well:)) What I completely agree on Anonymous comments - if you do decide you need to speak up - show your face. If you don't want to go public - email directly. Or be quite, sheesh, go run an ultra or do IM. Marathon is not less achievement, and things go wrong there more often than in a 5k too. I had so many nasty interventions on my training some time ago, I dropped my coach and went too raged on it - negative emotions don't help training, let me tell you.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

I think you've definitely got a sub-three in you if you focus solely on running mileage and marathon pace for a full training period.

Saw your comments on Wil's blog, and I totally agreed.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

PF injury

That was abig problem I have had in the past. But I did a few things that have really helped and they are
1. Stretch like nothing else even before you consider seeking professional help. Why? I made a committment that until I was fuuly felxible I wouldn't even consider physio etc. being flexible is something that you can take full control of. Once I new I could stand up and lean over and place my hands flat on the ground comfortable I knew I was pretty flexible. If the injury (PF) was still their, then I went to the physio, but until then just stretch and stretch.
2. PF comes from tight muscles. read No 1. That is all it is. It starts from the lower back and moves through the gluts, hammys and finally calves. Once this tightness has nowhere to go it will pull like nothing else on those tendons under the arch of the foot. Over time they will have a big dummy spit and hence the PF. There is nothing genetic about PF it is prely self inflicted. Sort that out through flexibility training and you'll be fine.
3. My protocol was 3 x 30min sessions everyweek, followed by 5-10min of stretching after every training session. I would also self massage 2 PW and go and have a sports massage 1PW. It took about 2-3 weeks to get rid of my PF. I never had to cut back ob training, I just had to improve my recovery strategies

Hope that helps

Paul

5:59 AM  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

Damm sorry about all the spelling errors. I'm just too lazt to edit.
I hope it is readable

Paul

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home