Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Quest For Mileage

I have come to the realization that I'll need to start throwing in am runs, before work, if I ever want to run over 50 miles a week. It sure is hard though when it's pitch black out at 6am and about 40 degrees.....add rain to the mix and staying in bed wins every time!

Yes- I am a nancyboy.

No I didn't hit the road yet but did make a few purchases after consulting with the Sultan of Speed today.

First up, the Nathan Reflective Night Vision 2 Vest to prevent me from ending up as the hood ornament on the SUV of some half-asleep bozo or bozette commuting to work. This was on sale too so a nice bonus.





Next, I headed to REI and purchased a Petzl Tikka Plus headlamp based on Steven's suggestion. I don't want to step into a pothole or into the path of whatever wildlife is out running around in the early am. Based on the roadkill I've seen (SKUNKS, possums, raccoons, deer, etc), it's a crapshoot on what I could encounter out there.

Before actually fondling them in person, I was leaning toward the Princeton Tec EOS but it was noticeably heavier so I decided to go with the Petzl. Also, the Petzl, while not as bright, had a considerably longer battery life then the Princeton. I'm hoping it can stand up to the wet weather up here, though, since the Princeton was actually marketed as waterproof (and looked it) vs. the Petzl which is "water resistant". I guess time will tell.

Oops almost forgot the two pair of smartwool running socks that were 30% off. A bit more $$ then the typical running socks but well worth it. If you haven't tried them, do yourself a favor and get some!

It's dark peeps- make sure you light yourself up like a Christmas Tree out there. Otherwise, you're invisible. Be Safe

*Peace*

8 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

Yay for new running toys. It reminds me I need to get out there and buy the rest of my winter cycling gear.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Mike,

Good toys.

Whenever I run in winter time, it is always in the dark.

I have a vest that makes me look like a UFO (a slow UFO).

Funny thing, drivers still try to run me over :).

8:04 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Glad to be of service, my friend.

I'll send ya the bill...

1:27 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

It looks like technology is passing me by. The last time I bought a headlamp it was powered by a couple of D cell batteries that fit in a case that was strapped to my waist.

Then again we wore polypropolane and after wearing it a few times and generating a good sweat, stunk to the high heavens no matter how many times it was washed. And the more you washed it, the rougher it got - I think that was a major reason for the invention of nip guards.

Too much information?

9:43 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

When I run at night I prefer stealth mode. It is easier for me to dart across the road when a car is approaching rather than dealing with the blinding action of their brights just because they catch a glimpse of something flashing or reflecting. It's great that they can see me but I can't see a thing with their brights shining in my eyes.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Good stuff, Mike. Way to be safe. The only way I get myself out of bed early in the morning is if my roommate goes with me. She's a slave driver...

7:58 AM  
Blogger Lora said...

Fun new stuff!! How about a red light for your back?? I love my petzl....but not as much as I love saying petzl. :)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Hey Nancyboy, can I borrow that stuff? The Urban Run is starting to get dark!

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home