Sunday, November 05, 2006

Rain Storm

It's been raining pretty hard this weekend coupled with some pretty strong wind. Definitely the kind of weather better suited to staying indoors with a hot cup a joe vs. running but what can you do right? It's O-R-E-G-O-N...Pacific Northwest...RAIN...that's how we roll.

Saturday I ran 21 rainy miles and half of those miles were into a pretty stiff headwind...definitely not my best day running. It was pretty quiet out there too without any runners on the long out and back. I always wonder what the drivers are thinking as they pass by on days with horrible weather....I got a couple honks but wasn't sure if they were of the "hey, good on ya for getting out there!" variety or of the "hey dumbass, get off the road it's pissing rain and we can't see you!" variety. I'm sure they were leaning toward the "dumbass comment" but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Today I ran 10 miles and, while it wasn't as windy, the rain was still coming down pretty strong. I even saw one cyclist out there today.....no other runners though. We gave each other "the nod" ,in passing, as in yeah, we're getting stronger out here while everyone else is couch-surfing! ;-)

Just want to note that I really don't have a problem cycling or running in the rain. I'd much rather run in the rain vs. HOT temps and we get tons of rain up here so no way around that. It's just the rain this weekend was much stronger then the typical Oregon drizzle. It reminded me of the Cali rains.

I had to make a quick run to the Nike store for brother Ray so ended up using that as an excuse to pick me up a pair of the new Air Structure Triax 9 GTX. I really love this shoe and have been using them for all of my training in the past couple of months - pretty cool that they came out with a Goretex version for the rainy season up here.

Also, on the reading front, I am no Steven (besides running, he also reads FAST) but I have read a couple books in the past month. I'm into the non-fiction stuff ...the following are all pretty good reads:

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzalez
Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men And Mountains by Jon Krakauer
Nature Noir: A Park Ranger's Patrol in the Sierra by Jordan Fisher Smith
The Last Season by Eric Blehm

Finally, my running week in review. I am still working on increasing the mileage and still subscribing to the aerobic training (HR<150). I'm not sure how you guys/gals pushing the mileage envelope do it when it is peppered with speed/intensity. I'm all aerobic/all the time and just barely hanging on. If I threw in any intensity now, I'm sure my legs would explode! I'm hoping it'll lead to increased durability in the long run though. I had to do the mileage this week on 6 days of running since work constraints and a last minute deadline had me miss my Monday run *argh*. I made it up with some doubles later in the week though so it's all good.

Run Summary - Week of 10/30
6 Days Running
68 Miles Total
Monday *OFF*
Tuesday 6
Wednesday lunch / pm 5/5
Thursday am 8
Friday lunch / pm 5/8
Saturday 21
Sunday 10

Have a great week!

*Peace*

14 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

Hi Mike. I linked over to your site from Steven's. 68 miles for a week is amazing! Keep up the good work.

6:56 AM  
Blogger qcmier said...

I'll give you another "nod" for being out there. Rain isn't much of a problem as long as it's not cold. Argh...Flahsbacks....

9:01 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Mike, it sounds like with your mileage, you are doing more than just hanging on. And with your preference to rain over heat you are a true northwest athlete.

Good luck on keeping your training close to the edge.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

My only beef for running in the rain is when it si close to the freezing point. Too cold and wet for my liking. Just going out there will make you tougher. It is about time I get my lazy butt out to hit some cold weather.

Deep Survival looks like a good read. I definitely goign to put that on my list.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

I went out today a got DRENCHED!

But like I always say...

If you don't run in the rain in Oregon...then you DON'T run!

Pretty simple, eh?

2:46 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hee hee. I saw the weather report and it looked like you guys were getting it pretty bad. I love running in the rain too, by the way. Kind of miss it actually. (I know, I know. I'm whining.) It's actually been kind of dry and hot here! It was 80 on the coast today.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

G'day Mike,

After reading your entry this morning at 5am, you got me out the door. It was pssing down with rain and windy as hell here in Tokyo, but I glad I went.

Cheers
Paul

5:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's been brutal out there the past few days. I'll admit that I have stayed inside, but more because of my studies rather than the fear of rain. Keep knocking out those miles and stay safe.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

Next time you post books, could ya send me an email not to read your blog! Do you have any idea how high my "must read" stack is??? ;)

What is your next race? Great job running in the rain--we runners are out there no matter what!

5:36 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

This is somewhat of a dumb question, but does the rain bother your eyes? Do you wear sunglasses with clear lenses? I love running in the rain, but I hesitate to cycle in the rain because I can't figure out how to optimize vision out there!

Good luck with the training.
-Steph

7:32 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Yeah baby, dat's how we rooolllll! You got a problem wit dat? ;)

Good Onya.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Adding intensity once the base is set is not as bad as it sounds - and don't you tell me you don't know that:) Body is an amazing machine, it recovers. Great week!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm totally with you. I much prefer rain and cold to HOT when I'm running...
But yeah, the rain lately has been ridiculous. Even for the PacNW.

Oh well, it's gotta end soon, right? Like, in 5-6 months? :)

9:11 AM  
Blogger G.P. said...

I've always said, "the hills and the wind" will make you strong... Add water to your equation. You get major points.:)

Happy trails
GP in Montana

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home