Sunday, November 12, 2006

Punching The Clock

Where does the time go? Days just seem to blend into one another...I can't believe it's almost time for Thanksgiving! I've been pretty much holed up in my cave up here as the weather hasn't been cooperating for the most part. A lot of treadmill running that ends up driving me batty but, at the very least, I still got in all my workouts this week.

Here's my public service announcement for the week:

DO NOT try to squeeze two workouts out of your workout gear...not a great idea.

I think I did it ages ago but the faded memory was just that...faded. It explains my lapse in judgement this past Friday. An 8 miler before work on the mill, hung up my gear in the locker and came back at lunch for another 8 miler. I tossed the gear on and was already into my first mile before I was aware of the "problem". Whew- the gear can get pretty ripe....*doh* Let's just say I wasn't making any friends on the treadmill at lunch.

We are still getting tons of rain here but we had a brief respite for most of the weekend. Mother nature smiled on us and I was able to do my long run yesterday and all but my last mile today in dry weather (although it was COLD today in the low 40's during the run). The skys opened up again in the afternoon and it has been raining pretty hard ever since...aaah the Pacific Northwest, you gotta love it.

A couple people out in Blogland are following the aerobic *low HR* training method right now. I've been trading emails with Paul who is a very knowledgeable and FAST Aussie Ironman athlete. It's funny but he emailed about the urge to "test" yourself and go faster while restricting yourself to strictly aerobic low HR's. It was funny because I had a temporary lapse in judgement on Friday and gave in to the urge. I busted out a 6:45 mile during the tail end of my second workout. I am blaming the double mill session that day...enough to crack even the strongest of the mentally strong. Let's just say I'm not even close to that category so I ramped up the mill and all was good for 6 minutes and 45 seconds. Of course my HR which has been used to sitting at 148 was asking: WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!? As it shot up to 177 but it ended soon enough....and it was still approx 8 beats below my AT. No way in hell I could maintain that pace for a marathon...maybe a 1/2 mary on supa-fresh legs but yes, I will definitely make time for some speedwork before February!

Run Summary - Week of 11/6/06
7 days running
69 Miles Total
Mon 6
Tue 6
Wed 5
Thu 5
Fri 16 (am 8 / lunch 8)
Sat 20
Sun 11

On another note, I read Choke by Chuck Palahniuk last week...whoa...pretty friggen bizarre

Have a great week!

*Peace*

11 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I used to try to squeeze in multiple workouts in with 1 set of clothes. It definitely doesn't work if you take them off in between. Anyway, it's tempting to do in cold weather so I understand. But after I figured that out, the "backne" I would get every winter went away.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are not supposed to wear the same clothes for multiple workouts? That is news to me. Perhaps that is why I do almost all of my training by myself.

Glad to see that you are getting in the miles as we head towards the dark days of winter.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're posting about the LSDs because I'm rather perplexed by them and have lots of questions. For example, I went on a cycling ride with my univ. team and my HR was through the roof the entire time - hovering around 170 (I think my max is 195). I've been concentrating on keeping my HR below 156 on all my rides so I was kind of surprised.

7:37 AM  
Blogger G.P. said...

Ripe and runnin' eh? But as we say in Montana, youre "gittin r' done!"

My HR problem is almost the opposite... even on the track work outs... it tends to stay low.. and no i wasnt slackin :) :)

good week all
GP in Montana

8:48 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I only squeeze more than one work out when I have no more clean workout clothes.

Hmm..not a bad idea to use it on days you want to be left alone :)

Yes..the urge is always there....i haven't wore my HR yet..will do soon.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

I made that mistake once too...yikes!
LSD is hard even for a slow poke like myself. I am trying hard to keep my horse in stables.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The rain has definitely made the lack of running on my end a little bit easier. It is much easier to sleep in when I can hear the rain pounding down.

Another solid week on your end. And yeah, a good idea to bring two sets of running gear to keep community relations in good standing.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,

If you have not already done so, you may want to take a look at Greg McMillan's site at http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/. His Running Calculator is free and interesting and I have a friend who recently ran a sub 3 hour Chicago Marathon following his ideas.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Mike,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Those are some amazing run totals you are doing lately! 47 miles over three days...I can't even fathom that! Keep up the good work.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

Well done, Mike with the running. Theres some serious fitness being developed in those legs of your.

keep it up

Paul

Thanks for the plug.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Nice job, Mike. There ain't no slacking going on up there even with the rain.

I only tried wearing the same clothes twice a couple of times. I always ended up with major chafing issues from the dried salt/sweat deposits.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home