Sunday, January 14, 2007

Momentum

I made it through another 70 mile week while increasing the quality/speed of my workouts so that was encouraging. My slowest pace this week was my 7:52 ave for my 20miler but the ave pace was sucked down by the HILLS at Hagg Lake. Steven ran 16 of those miles with me and we were averaging around 7:30 on the flats so that was a good sign. When he peeled off for his car at 17.6 miles into the run (I ran 1.6 before he joined me), I ended up doing donuts on the flat section of the road over the dam to finish out the 20 and was able to keep it right at a 7:15 pace over the last 2.4 miles. He had agreed to hang out for a post-run coffee so I had some incentive to crank it up a bit! The coffee was GREAT since we started our run at 7:30 when the temps were in the 20's- BRRRRRR!!

The day before the 20 miler I ran a hard 7 miler that started off with a 2 mile warmup at 7:05 pace before cranking it up to a 6:33 pace for the remaining 5 miles. Probably not the best protocol for a run the day before going long with Steven but hopefully I didn't hold him up too much. I did notice he was clearly more "conversational" then I was at Hagg (ie easy pace for Steven) and not sure if he was just turning the screws but he seemed to ask me questions right in the middle of our hill climbs while I was trying to suck in oxygen - thanks Steven! ;-)

Today, the legs were feeling the 20 miler the day before but after about 5 minutes, they were back on track and I threw down 10 miles over a rolling, windy course at a 7:40 pace to close out the week.

In other news, I have lost 7-8 lbs since my return from California. Since I put on about 4 lbs over the holidays, my net loss is about 4lbs. I am trying to control all the variables to get everything in order prior to my 2/4 marathon. Weight loss is definitely high o the priority list. I've been pretty strict about my diet in January with green veggie/fruit shakes in the am, healthy snacks during the day, sandwich for lunch, and a bowl of soup for dinner...pretty much grazing lightly all day to get the poundage down and it is working. My goal is to lose another 4-5 pounds but that is going to be a tough call....probably need to turn the screws a bit tighter and not sure if I can do it. Being hungry at night is a tough one. Manorexia- it ain't pretty!

3 more weeks and hopefully I can hit the start line of the marathon ready to crank out a PR. It's all about staying focused a bit longer and building on this momentum. I am on it.

*Peace*

9 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

Congrats on the awesome momentum you've got going!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

Top read Mike,

Keep those posts coming. it motivates me and I'm sure alot of others to keep training.
Well done on that run. Your really finding some form at faster paces.

keep it up

Paul

8:30 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Envious, that's me. But I see that your hard work, determination and dedication are paying off. Awesome job, Mike.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Mike, you are really one impressive runner. Like the other comments, I am also motivated by your posts.

You are going to rock on your upcoming marathon.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Mike,

Keep up the great work! Sounds like that PR is well within reach!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Thanks for the run, Mike. It was great.

But not as great as the hot Starbucks coffee and marionberry muffin afterwards!

Those are the real reasons we get out there in the cold, aren't they?!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

That is speed...serious speed talking here. Well done on weight too! Can't wait to see how it results on marathon!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's some awesome training you're getting in Mike. Only 3 more weeks to go. Well done!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Mike! Wanted to ask you about some specifics on your nutrition plan during training. Drop me an email if you'd like. Amazing, simply amazing work you are doing out there. ~j

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home