Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Calm Before the Storm

One more week down as I head into race week for Boston. This should be a very light week coming up in the training dept. It's all about getting that final bit of recovery / taper and allowing my feet to heal a bit. The current weather forecast for race day is 44deg and rain. As long as it's not pouring, that is perfect in my book. It sure beats the high 80's a couple years back!

Back to my training, I had a slight scare when I started having forefoot pain during my run on Friday. A bit scary because it was a sharp pain (vs. a typical ache) on each left footstrike. I spoke to my PT friend Matt and he is thinking it is probably due to the number of changes I've made lately to my shoes, etc. I was fine all week until Friday though, and I'm thinking my short speed session on Thursday put me over the edge. After a mile warm-up, I ran 7 x 1/2mile repeats @ 6/min pace to get a bit of a V02 push before shutting it down. No problems, no pain until my run the following day...hmmm. I was "supposed" to do a 10 miler this weekend but ended up cutting it short and ran 6 miles instead. I didn't have any pain but didn't want to take any chances with the episode on Friday.

*Keeping my fingers crossed* I am just hoping I can get thru this marathon and *promise* to take it easy on my feet in case anyone is listening up there!

In other news, I did get in a 3 hour bike with Steven on Saturday...I know, probably not helping my taper but it's all about the bike right?! I'm not sure what dark cloud Steven has over his head or maybe it's a combination of us planning a workout together that does it but it rained consistently for our entire ride. What's new right? We seem to get rain every weekend for our workouts! Mother Nature was up to her cruel tricks since she gave us BEAUTIFUL weather this past week - reminding me of how great the summers are up here. Friday was even a bit hot in my opinion but I'll take those blue skies all day long. So waking up to rain on Saturday didn't do much for my motivation. You gotta punch the clock though so we got it done. Good thing because it ended up actually being a pretty nice ride. No flats this week either!

For the week:
1 Swim (going to ramp this up after the marathon)
4 Runs
3 Bikes

I guess I actually need to ramp it up in all depts after the marathon and open the door again to constant endorphins,the all to familiar fatigue, spinning endless circles, running countless miles, and losing count on swim laps as I gear up for Ironman Canada.

Ain't nothing like the feeling you get shelling yourself from stacking 20's (20+hour training weeks). I'm looking forward to the push.

Here's some quick video motivation....regardless of your passion, just get out there and move. It's a beautiful thing.



Hope you all had a great week and nice Easter.

*Peace*

11 Comments:

Blogger JeffM said...

4 runs and 3 rides is taper? I've got to step it up! Hope the foot stays good for Boston.
Happy Easter!
What a difference between Friday and Saturday's weather.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Have a good run at Boston!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck in Boston! Can't wait to hear how it goes! I'm with you - cool and light rain is perfect running weather.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Crash said...

Best of luck in Bean-town!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Mike, have fun in Boston and good luck on your race. Can't wait to read the report.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Wow, that was a great, great video. That is why we are out there day in and day out - for those moments when everything flows and the body moves in a fluid motion that makes us feel invincible!

Good luck on Patriot's Day and say hello to the Wellesley girls for the rest of us.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Have an awesome time, Mike!!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

On Saturday you can think of me climbing Bald Peak on my bike while you are sitting in an airplane.

On Monday I'll think of you running from Hopkington to Boston while I sit in the drab ol' office.

Have a great time, Mike!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

Have a great race in Boston!

11:48 AM  
Blogger momo said...

have a great, great run, mike, enjoy every minute! we'll be thinking about you and rooting you on!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have a great time...cool runnings, peace be the journey! ~j

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home