Sunday, March 11, 2007

This Isn't The Time To Stop Pushing....

I had a good week of training..not great...but good. Something about trying to incorporate the "other stuff" along with running to get you good and tired! Overall, it wasn't too bad though. It seems as though my body has good "memory" in picking up where I left off about 7 months ago! ;-)

We had a cool blog-meet on Saturday with Jessi. She was in town to pre-ride the course at Hagg Lake (Age Group Nationals) and gave Steven and I a nice reality check for where we are NOT on the bike. Sheez, we were thinking moderate workout but as soon as she got in the aeros, we were working pretty hard to stay with her as she was going 22++ mph (she's definitely got an engine!). She must have felt sorry for us and avoided her aerobars for all of the second loop? (Sorry Jessi!) Still a great workout and we had a nice 30 min transition run after the bike. Tom (her man) was a really cool guy too. She was going to be racing today so hopefully that went well after the hilly bike / run on Saturday! The best part of the workout was dinner at Steven's house..one of the pluses of working out later in the day is getting back to his house around dinner time! Karen was weaving her magic in the kitchen and they were nice enough to invite me in for a YUMMY dinner and a beer. BIG THANKS Steven / Karen!

I did manage to get in 6 runs and 4 bike workouts this week. The bummer is that the run mileage has come way down with me barely hitting 40 miles this week (even though I ran 6 times!!) so I definitely need to get in the longer stuff with Boston on the radar. I wasn't feeling too great for the run today, I was glad it wasn't raining but I was pretty much done at about the 14 mile mark of my 16 mile run when I got a nice lift from my tunes. It's amazing how music can transform a workout and I got this great blast from the past while in shuffle mode on my ipod....just in time too. DB was brilliant back in the day...anyone remember this video? Come-on, we all walked around karate-chopping our arm to that one! Great stuff



Also had to share the following advert...pretty cool in that I'm sure we can all relate to "those voices" in our head. Self-doubt. The message is universal and definitely transcends the whole silly running theme of the advert. What's that Henry Ford quote? Something to the effect of "whether you think you can or can't, you're right!"

We all have more potential then we realize- keep pushing people!



*Peace*

11 Comments:

Blogger Spokane Al said...

Wow - the Talking Heads/David Byrne and a great Nike commercial. You really know how to put them together Mike.

Once in a Lifetime is on my iPod, and your running and biking skills keep me wanting to do more.

Thanks.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Mike, Thanks for the props although I like how you left out the part about my sloooooowwwwww run. :)

Loved that Nike ad too. It was all a little too familiar to me!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Ok, that is just too weird. I read the initials DB and started humming Once in a Lifetime before I even clicked on the youtube feed. Weird, really really weird.

22 mph? I gotta get me a new bike. The oldest son started clicking on my comments and found you. He was impressed with your bike collection.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Hey Mike...
Saturday was great, wasn't it?

But, I'm with ya...bike trainers are OK, but they do NOT keep the bike fitness where it once was. Nothing beats getting outside and riding!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

Mike!
Just getting caught up every since I did the ol' format C: drive.
First, a BIG congrats on the marry PB. You just know that a sub 3 is getting tantalizing close.. it's gonna happen!
Second, OK, is the *really* your bike room? That's just sick - everything so pretty. Hmm.. I really should look after my gear better.. :)

Keep up the solid training.. bike more, run more.. You know how it is. Cheers Mike.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Boston is so soon! Time to up the long runs:)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Hey man - sorry to hear about your injury. Hang tough and get through it.

Great video - one of the very first classics!

9:58 PM  
Blogger qcmier said...

Cool Talking Heads. And even though I shy away from Nike gear, I will admit they make some really great ads.

7:18 PM  
Blogger JeffM said...

Cool ad!
22+ around Hagg Lake is fast!! Someday I'm going to get brave and try the Banana Belt Races out there.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Comm's said...

So what your saying is that 6 runs at roughly 10k per run is not good? C'mon man your gonna give effort a bad name.

So your 4 rides...what you did less than 200 miles and it bums you out?

3:40 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

You got to bike with Jessi? And you could hang on to the 22 mph pace? Jeez. Very cool.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home