Sunday, April 01, 2007

Taper Time...I Made It!

A ton going on so I must apologize for the lack of boring posts on my end! ;-)
I finally got my blood lactate tests and they validated my training zones for the most part..well, maybe the Friel Zones are bit high (word of warning for anyone using the friel zones, may want to dial them back 3-5 beats) but that has been thrown around for awhile now. My blood lactate was under 2.0 mmol until I hit 7:03/mile pace. It jumped to 2.8 mmol at 175HR / 6:40 pace. This was my marathon HR but definitely wasn't running a 6:40 pace. At least I know I can look to run at an effort that coincides with approx 175 HR assuming weather,etc being equal. My OBLA (4mmol BL) took place at approx 6:20/mile pace & 180 HR. This would equate to a AT HR.

Training has been going ok considering my "glass feet". I went to a new podiatrist on Thursday and really looking forward to working with him. He definitely has a different viewpoint from any other foot doc I've been to. I was ready to plunk down $$$ for new orthotics when he stated that he would rather try another course of action, ie weaning me off the orthotics. He was definitely of the camp that most foot issues are due to shoe companies overbuilding shoes with unnecessary features which result in weakening the feet. Similar to the "pose-running" school, he recommended working up to running in a shoe that provides the least amount of built in support / correction (racing flat). He does the bulk of his running, including 2+ hour runs, in CROCS!!

Nice to get a doc who is truly enthusiastic about what he does and who shares a love of running. I figure it is worth a shot if I can eliminate the orthotics. He placed some metarsal pads in my shoes (these made a huge difference in the cushioning under the ball of my feet) and instructed me to open up the shoes to allow my feet to naturally spread.

Here you can see the $4 dollar metarsal pads that were placed in my running shoes


Here's the result of my exacto knife surgery on my shoes. I cut out some of the midsole and both sides of the shoe for a nice roomy fit. Funny because they really weren't "bothering" me before but they are MUCH MORE comfortable and I plan to wear them at Boston, "air-conditioning" and all.


Other then that, just rolling along with the workouts. Last weekend, had a great ride with Steven on Saturday although he left out the part where he had to wait while I fixed not one but TWO flats within 20 minutes of each other...ugh! The day after I ran a questionable 20 miler...questionable because I wasn't sure how my feet would hold up over 20 miles! They did ok *thank god* and finished in 2:39 for around a 8 min pace...wasn't pushing it at all.

This week I ran daily (7 workouts) and had 5 cycling workouts with the big doughnut hole for swimming. I figure there'll be plenty of time to get in the water here soon. The feet are still holding up pretty well *knock on wood* with the only issues when i push the intensity a bit. I did my last longer race pace workout yesterday: 15 miles in 1:47:50 for 7:11 ave pace. I pushed the intensity up a bit for the 1/2 mary distance and was running in the 6:45-6:50 pace on the flats and slower on the rollies / hills but still finished 13.1 miles in 1:33:10 for a 7:07 pace before finishing out with a flat 1.9 miles home. Average HR was 174 (ave HR last marathon was 175). Too bad I'll have to run an additional 11 miles on the 16th. ;-)
That will be the x-factor with the drop in mileage. Even though I ran every day this week, my mileage only hit 52 miles. I didn't want to take the risk of injuring my foot any further. Next couple of weeks I plan on keeping the frequency up while dialing back the distance even further.

Gotta love the taper!

Hope life is treating you all well.

*Peace*

15 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Runs in Crocs? What kind of quack did you go see?? Nice surgery doctor.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Nice bit of info at the docs site. I bookmarked it to read later. Are you going to give the Free a try. Maybe after Boston on some shorter runs.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Habeela said...

I love the shoe surgery! Better than foot surgery eh? I'm not in taper mode but I can't wait to hear about the race!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Boston is right around the corner. I like the shoe alterations and I hope they work out well for you. I am envious that you "only" got in 52 miles last week. You equalled my running total for the entire month of February.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

I hope your foot problems are now beginning to fade in the distance behind you.

P.S. And I thought your lack of posts was a part of your taper plan.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

G'day Mike,

Scott Harrison the guy I have been coaching ended up qualifying for Hawaii last weekend at Port.
He went a 9:57 (1:05/5:27/3:24) and came 19th. Not a bad effort for a 39yr old in the 35-39yr age group.

I like what you have done with you shoes. What was the problems you were having with your feet???

Paul

10:44 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I'm a big fan of those air conditioned shoes! Best of luck in Beantown. I lived there for 8 years before moving to Philly, so let me know if you need any recommendations for carbo loading destinations leading up to the race!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

Go kick some butt in Boston! Too funny about the crocs :)

6:33 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

I hope the shoe surgery works out, I've heard much about things like that. Taper on, Mike, and hit those roads on a way to Boston! I pray for a nice weather and great crowd for you.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

Mike!
Friel zones seem a bit high for me too. Kinda cool you get the actual blood workup done.
Last fall I made the transition to running without orthotics - zero problems. I think your shoe guy is right on the money.
Nice custom work on the shoes - very stylish.
Enjoy your taper.. Cheers!

10:04 AM  
Blogger JeffM said...

Good luck at Boston!! I'm impressed by your pace numbers- but then you're a mulitple ironman and marathoner.

10:23 AM  
Blogger momo said...

i've been having some knee problems and the pt suggested orthodics too, but my coach suggested strenghtening the quads, glutes, hips instead. plus, stronger recommeded yoga, and i think i'm going to try that too first.

whew, 7:11, 7:07??? you are fast - i can't wait to see you rock boston!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

I think 52 miles is plenty. I'm barely doing that now, and that's a high week for me.

Time to get psyched for Boston!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

Run in crocs. Wow.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Congrats on going to Boston. I'm so excited for you. What did you do to your shoes? It looks like you mutilated them! Interesting philosophy that your podiatrist has. I have to say though that most of my injuries disappeared once I got an orthotic, and any time I moved to a lighter shoe, my injuries came back. I have poor mechanics though so it's probably different for different people.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home