Sunday, July 09, 2006

Sometimes You're The Hammer.....

and sometimes you're the nail. This weekend I was definitely the nail. My workouts kicked my sorry ass all up and down the 503. I guess that's how I roll....

On Friday, a co-worker and I started discussing how we both weren't feeling too great.....not bad enough to bail on work but just not 100%. Of course It didn't stop me from running at lunch....I figure just the blahs...what the hell, it's a nice day....go run!
The run was actually ok....a loop around the nature reserve and 1 loop around the campus.

Friday Run Stats
54:12 Total Time
7 miles total
38:35 - 5 miler
15:37 - 2 miler
156 HR Ave

Saturday, I had planned on going for a long run but when I finally rolled over, after going back and forth with the snooze button, it was 9:30am. I hate heading out on a long ride late. It just seems tougher mentally when you are rolling out at 10 / 11am vs. 7am. I switched up my training and figured I would hit my long run today and do a long bike early on Sunday....If I had a crystal ball, I would have went on the long bike, as planned.

It was already getting pretty warm so I decided to run in Forest Park. At least there you get to run under a beautiful canopy of trees that also keeps you out of the blaring sun for the majority of the run.. I started my run around 11:30 and was seriously doubtful regarding my planned 20 miler since I have been severely lacking in any runs over an hour lately. I did the 1/2 mary during Pac Crest but other then that, I have been rolling with runs typically in the 45 minute - hour range....not good. I got my ass kicked...what seemed easy, effort-wise, even uphill on the way out, sucked on the way back even with the gravity assist....also, the telltale heart rate drift as I started getting in the 2+ hr category. I think some of it had to do with the heat this day but I know my lack of long runs played a major part. Also, to add injury to insult...my left foot is acting up a bit in the heel....aaargh! I need to make sure and get some long ones under my belt in the next 4-5 weeks!

Since there are 1/4 mile pole markers along the route, I hit my mile splits...nice way to keep you motivated on a long one...my goal was to run right around an 8 min long run pace or stay in low Z2 HR...this worked out but with the hills / heat / lack of long runs, my HR did creep into High Z2 / Low Z3 at the tail end on the hills.

Saturday Run Stats
Forest Park
20 miles
2:39:55 Total Time
164 HR Ave
Mile Splits:
1. 7:52 11. 8:11
2. 7:47 12. 7:56
3. 7:40 13. 8:05
4. 8:11 14. 8:43
5. 7:59 15. 8:01
6. 8:00 16. 7:35
7. 7:59 17. 8:15
8. 7:57 18. 7:58
9. 7:56 19. 8:07
10. 7:58 20. 7:37

I hit the trainer for a recovery spin in the evening....just rode the computrainer in ergo-mode with it in an easy gear at 125 Watts / high cadence

Saturday Bike – Recovery Spin
1 Hour
15.6 Miles
101 Cadence
125 Watts
122 HR

So for some friggen reason, I don't know why....I was WIRED Saturday night...couldn't sleep...I started reading "Lance Armstrong's War"...a pretty interesting read...and almost finished the whole book.....i did see the clock ticking over at 2:45am so things didn't look good for an early start on the bike.

I didn't get out on the bike until 11:30 *surprise!?!*....long day, wind, hills, heat, dehydration...you always hit bad patches during the long ones and this was no different although my bad patch lasted from mile 35-102! ;-) Seriously, I didn't feel great on the bike....the hills just seemed steeper today...probably due to the long run yesterday and a bit of dehydration...although I didn't realize it during the bike until I was near the end. I just got an overwhelming sense of thirst once I was done and couldn't get enough water in me. After ingesting what seemed like a gallon of water and also a protein / fruit shake, I weighed myself and was still down 2.5 pounds from my weight pre-ride. Not Good!! Hydrate People!! I Probably wasn't hydrated properly post-run yesterday and carried that into the bike today. Not a good thing when you are rolling out at 11:30 into a HOT day. For the hills, I hit Bald Peak, Hagg Lake and Blooming Fern road.....surprised I didn't fall over on the climbs I was going so slow...serious suck on my ave speed but figure these long ones are about time in the saddle.....

*Next week, I am going long.....and it is on!!*

Sunday Bike Stats
102.8 Miles
6.0 Hours Total Time
17.1 MPH Ave
136 HR Ave

I hope you all had a great weekend!

*Peace*

10 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

Hey Mike...
The Lance book is a good read...I enjoyed it a lot. Sorry to hear your last couple o'workouts weren't the best. Guess I better get back out there with ya? Those seemed to be spot on most days!

I'm thinking...Larch Mountain on Sunday?

Let me know...I'm there for ya buddy! We'll get ya ready for IMC in no time!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

Ok..you're put on warning...8 cups of water every day or I'll email Steven to kick your butt so hard on Sunday you'll need to take off work on Monday!!

4:09 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Dude, you're putting in some MAJOR mileage - that's awesome. I'm not surprised that you're feeling a bit wiped out.

Those 20-mile run splits are excellent. You could definitely hang with the sub-three marathon crowd.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Blame the weather, Mike! That's what I'm doing! It's just too easy to get used to cool temps and foggy mornings, isn't it?!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

wow... from one nail to another... way to get it done. ;)

7:11 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I am surprise how low your HR is on the bike.

I have prob with sleeping as well. Some nights I will stay up and some days i will wake up way too early.

That's sounds liek a good weekend of training..no matter how crappy you feel.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'll have to check that book out. I hadn't heard anything about it until reading this post, but that's not surprising - I'm not much of a reader (except for blogs :) ).

Great stats and some great volume you got in this past weekend!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

It's been hot everywhere! I hate being the nail!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

hey all- thanks for the comments!
Mike- glad I'm not alone in the late start blahs...it was torture!
Agree on the Coyle book..it is definitely the best in the genre..alot of interesting stuff there
Steven - Larch Mtn this weekend?!
Lora- I HEAR YOU!!! ;-)
Donald- always there with a funny comment..yes, I could hang with the sub 3 mary crowd for 1 or 2 miles!
Nic- blaming the weather...yeah, that's it!
Tammy / Rachel- Nails Unite!! ;-)
Cliff- yeah, sleep is a major pain for me!
Chris..welcome back! Definitely check out that book...much better then the other lance books out there...all the non-lance stuff in the book is great...

10:45 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

That 6 hour bike ride is unbelievable. Further confirmation that I don't think I have an IM in me...I don't think I could walk after a bike ride like that! ;)

Nice job!

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home