Monday, July 03, 2006

Busy Weekend

Saturday
What a busy weekend! My girly Deb was in town for the long weekend so we spent the time exploring Portland and beyond. She was nice enough to spend a few, 1, 3 hours at the Nike Store on Saturday which allowed me to get in a ride. Since I wasn't planning on being out for a long one, I made sure to ramp up the hill factor and make it a tough ride. I climbed Bald Peak, Unger, Blooming Fern (both ways) before circling on the flats for awhile and heading home....the topper was that it was 90++ the whole time.....nice ride.

Sat Bike Stats
54.5 Miles Total
16.5 MPH Ave
3.25 Hours
145 HR Ave

After dinner, Deb let me slip out again for another workout - what a sweetheart!...or maybe she was tired of me!?! ;-) In any event, I was just glad that it had cooled a bit so ran about 6 miles over a rolling course.

Run Stats
~6 Miles
45 minutes
157 HR Ave

Sunday
We didn't get in any workouts but spent the day exploring the Pearl District in Portland. Nice to do a little window shopping and definitely got in more then a several miles with all the walking. Portland is a great town to explore on foot...if you ever make it for a visit, bring a comfortable pair of shoes.

Monday
I've been wanting to hike the Eagle Creek Trail ever since I've moved here and this seemed like the perfect weekend to give it a go. The link above has some great pics of the trail and the many waterfalls along its route. Deb and I got off to a late start but, thankfully, the high temps didn't end up in the miserable range. We loaded up and hit the Columbia Gorge and got a veiw of some great scenery on the way to the trailhead. We passed the big one, Multnomah Falls, which is visible off the highway...luckily I was able to keep the car on the freeway as I shot a long glance at the falls.

Eagle Creek was awesome...some of the hiking was VERY sketchy though as you skirt the edge of a cliff without any gaurdrail but you have to live on the edge sometimes right!!? Here are some pics from the day....

Not sure when this was taken but must have been early as we were heading into the canyon...alot of coverage on this trail which was nice....didn't have to deal with the sun beating down on us mercilessly for the whole duration....


Is this beautiful or what!?


I think this was the second major waterfall on the hike


After a solid 1.5 hours of sweaty hiking, Deb and I were still smiling (see pics from turnaround point below).....you should of seen us at the 3 hour mark though...it wasn't all smiles then! ;-) We actually spent alot of time goofing on each other as we seemed to keep stubbing our shoes on any rock that was sticking up out of the trail as we hiked further along...several close calls and late recoveries so nice to report we didn't end up falling down or worse, falling off the trail ledges.......

Deb flashing her beautiful smile.....


Me wishing I had a cold drink...


Strange how I have no problems running for several hours but hiking really kicked my butt today...I'd have to call it a solid aerobic workout.
Also, Oregon is BEAUTIFUL.....don't take nature's gifts for granted people...appreciate the beauty *always*.

Hope you all had a great weekend and Happy Fourth!!

Almost forgot...here is a link to a couple race pics from The Pacific Crest 1/2 Iron...funny how, in the bike pic, I am almost as white as the snow on the mountains behind me!

*Peace*

8 Comments:

Blogger JGC Photography said...

Found your site on Rob The Runner's site. I must say that's a great hike you went on.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

Mike, man that brings back the memories. I mentioned earlier that my wife and I went to Oregon for our honeymoon. Multnomah Falls was my favorite. I can't believe you just drove right by.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

That place is gorgeous, Mike.

I wwon't be surprise hiking is as much exertion as running. There are times when I hike, i am sure my HR is the same as i take a jog.

7:01 AM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Ah -Oregon looks amazing! So green and pristine! Sounds like a great weekend.
And great race pics, too, btw.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVE Eagle Creek! I lived in Hood River for a summer and spent a lot of time hiking in the Gorge. Incredible area, you're lucky to live so close!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Wow, great pics, thanks. Sounds like an awesome weekend.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

Beautiful pics...amazing country we live in.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Mike! I'm going to be in Oregon at the end of August for Hood to Coast and I'm SOOOOO excited.

Hiking is awesome, isn't it? My favorite part is making it to the summit and eating lunch... :)

Awesome pics!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home