Sunday, May 13, 2007

Break On Through

This past week was just a blur of activity for me. I was spreading myself a bit thin but figured there was light at the end of the tunnel since this was the last solid week in this training cycle. I just needed to make it through the weekend and my key bike workout.

I ended up flip-flopping my short / long bike ride so that I could get in a ride with Steven. We ended up doing 3 hours on Saturday. It was our first ride on our tri-bikes and it was quite the experience.

Ooof!! Sore neck! Sore back!

My bike is set up on the aggressive side with 79+ seat angle and about a 10.5 - 11cm drop from seat to bars so it will definitely take some time to adjust. Steven was going to make the final push in his kitchen remodel so this actually worked out for the best. In hindsight, the duration was probably perfect for our first ride on our tribikes anyway.

Today, I was going long and was wondering how it would all turn out. It actually wasn't too bad. I decided to push the hurt and ended up doing a pretty hilly ride (Unger / Bald Peak / Hagg Lake / Blooming Fern *at mile 86 ouch*). In addition to the hills, the wind was a BITCH today so definitely got my work in. Bike felt great- just need to put some time in the aeros and this was a step in the right direction. It was also another good day to train the nutrition / hydration protocol. I still haven't set-up the bike completely and without a rear hydration system, I had to resort to carrying a bottle in a jersey pocket but it worked out okay. I felt pretty strong at the end of the ride and was able to motor on the flats pretty well on the last stretch home. Once there, I jumped on the scale and got some great feedback.

My Pre / Post ride weight was exactly the same! That is HUGE for me.

I threw on the shoes for a quick transition run. I wasn't looking forward to this but knew I'd regret it later if I bagged it. It's much easier to get out there when Steven is cracking the whip. After a wobbly first mile on the run, I found my legs and finished it by descending on each mile *barely*. One thing I noticed immediately is that riding steep definitely helps when you are running off the bike. Also, that running comes much easier when you get off the bike well hydrated- what a concept eh!? ;-)
Bike
6.25 Hrs
104 Miles Hilly
Run
30:12
4 Miles
7:57
7:33
7:22
7:20

Now the weekly stats
IMC Training Week 16
23.0 TOTAL Hours
Swim 3.0 Hrs

(9,250 Yrds - 3 swims. Again, swim yardage was a bit lacking with the missed 4th weekend swim. I definitely need to make sure I hit the weekend swim since it is my longer endurance set @ 1.25 - 1.5 hrs)
Bike 14.0 Hrs
(229 Miles - 5 rides. Still focusing on the hillwork and finally got the tribike on the road. Nutrition / hydration protocol is going well- will need to focus focus focus on this so it becomes second nature! 156 road miles / 73 Computrainer)
Run 4.5 Hrs
(32.5 Miles - 4 runs including 1 off the bike. Nice to get my piddly mileage over 30 for the week. Definitely have some room for improvement here! Continuing to monitor the left heel.)
Weights 1.5 Hrs
(2 x 45min sessions of low weight / hi-rep AA sessions. *Yawn* Got it done but not too excited about the gym work.)

Now to the bike.....check it out!
I haven't ridden the ZIPPS but figured I'd deck her out in her sunday best for the pics. Before anyone sez it, let me. Is that logo overkill or what!?! Looks like someone threw up on the bike with a ton of logos. I may actually peel the decals off the ZIPPS but nothing I can do about the frame. I would have preferred a more subtle graphic but the "formula one" style is sloooowly growing on me.


Close-up of the bars...they are actually pretty comfy and superlight (thanks jess!)


Last but not least, I'd like to wish all you awesome moms out there a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!

That's all I got.

I AM SO READY FOR THIS UPCOMING RECOVERY WEEK!!
*tried to run, tried to hide....break on through to the other side, yeah!*

Have a great week!

*Peace*

17 Comments:

Blogger hazben said...

Geeeezzz........... Smokin' Mike... purely smokin'. Now that you're "one of those guys" I'm anticipating we'll have to register to read your insights and subscriptions won't be far behind! Congrats on a steller week - many more to come I'm sure. Watch for breakdown in those old bones - RECOVER! As for the ride, the pic says it all... Enjoy! You've earned it!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

That is one sweet bike set-up! Good job keeping up those monster hours too!

5:37 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Great ride, terrific week and one cool, fast looking bike. I also like those workout hour totals. You are definitely rolling.

"The day destroys the night, the night divides the day, try to run, try to hide . . . "

6:45 AM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

You have been hitting it hard core! Those are some monster workouts. I would not lose any sleep over missing a swim here and there.

PS. That bike is killer....jealous.....VERY jealous!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

It seems like all of the bike companies out there think they're working for NASCAR teams with all that logo placement. And what's with that 666 decal on the wheel? Do you have a new sponsor we should know about?

9:16 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

With all those decals, do u feel like u are being sponsored?? :)

Reading you and Steven's training, i gotta start doing some bricks as well. Recovery week on my end too... i so need it.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bike is looking awesome! I'm glad you like those aero bars! And the wheels are super hot. I took the stickers off of my race wheels... makes things a little less hectic, esp since there's not much to be done about the QR logos (clear-coat, ugh).

9:56 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

That is one sexsy machine! You make me chuckle in regards in regards to the logos - I'd probably remove them too! Subtle is good.
Another excellent week. Congrats! I think I shall join you and make this a designated easy week.

You can't see this right now.. but I just cracked a *beer*. Care to join me? Might as recover in style. Cheers!

12:47 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Dude - your seat is too high! ;)

It was awesome getting out on the race bikes last weekend. I'm ready to do a lot more of that in the weeks to come.

Nice job on cranking out 100+ miles, too. How's the neck/back feel?

See ya this weekend...

7:33 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Ouch! 6+ hrs on a bike seat! Don't know about a neck, but how are other parts? :)
Good deal of treaining, Mike! Tri's are too tough, I have to admit, much harder than ultras to train for. Much. Way to go!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's some monster training, Mike. It must feel good.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Nice Mike! Great week of training - the bike is sweet.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Crash said...

the bike is saweet - how could you not be fast on that thing?!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Break on through...you are true to the core, heart and soul. Good vibes, rest and replenish, ready to rock on! ~j

6:31 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Um, yea, that bike is ALL WRONG for you. Seriously. You should... I don't know... GIVE IT TO ME!!! That is my dream bike. I love the way it's designed... looks all science-y! :)

1:38 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Impressive week. You definitely deserve an R&R week. I always see people with their bottles in their jerseys. That would bug the heck out of me. Does that work out okay?

12:22 AM  
Blogger endorphinum said...

Hi Mike,
can i get in contact with you by mail? I would like to feature you
or your blog in one of the next
Beta-sway issues.

Just mail me to thebrain AT endorphinum.de

Big greetings and: YES! nice
bike!

Carlos

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home