Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Picture Me Rollin'...

My last 4 training weeks have been pretty solid: 20.75 hrs / 21.5 hrs / 19.75 hrs / 24.75 hrs. Probably not optimal without a rest week in there to break it up but counting back from IMC, I wanted a recovery week to flush out any fatigue before heading into the 3 week taper so had to go with 4 straight weeks of volume. Definitely a ton of heartbeats there and I am REALLY enjoying the recovery week right now! :-)

Week 5 was a pretty solid week with 300 bike miles capped off by back to back 100 mile rides followed by a brick run. Saturday, Steven and I were pretty much skunked by crappy weather so I went out Sunday and got in a pretty good race simulation ride. I chained myself to the aerobars and did 5.75 hrs / 105 miles over some rolling terrain with some good hills, serious headwinds, rain. The brick run went surprisingly well and I ran 6 miles over rolling terrain in 47 minutes - not a bad end to a solid block of training. The only bummer was a bee sting during my Sunday ride that ended up getting infected. My arm swelled up like a balloon so I was at the Doc today getting some antibiotics. I had a 2.5 hour ride on tap but decided to skip it and let the body rest.

Here's the tale of the tape for the last two weeks:

IMC Training Week 6
19.75 TOTAL Hours
Swim 3.25 Hrs

(11,000 Yrds - 3 swims. Focused on longer straight sets - did a boring straight 4000 during one swim.)
Bike 12.5 Hrs
(232.9 Miles - 4 rides: 27.4 / 42.8 / 91.1 / 71. Overall, didn't really seem to get in any "long" rides- I am trying to keep all my rides to 2+ hours and it didn't happen this week)
Run 4 Hrs
(32 Miles - 4 runs including a "long" run of 13 miles. The ASTYM continues to provide healing with the PF even though I am continuing to run *thank god*)

IMC Training Week 5
24.75 TOTAL Hours
Swim 3.25 Hrs

(10,500 Yrds - 3 swims. I'm just punching the clock here and getting in the minimun 3 a week)
Bike 17.5 Hrs
(303.7 Miles - 4 rides: 42 / 50 / 106.1 / 105.6 SOLID week capped off by back to back century bricks)
Run 4.0 Hrs
(29.5 Miles - 3 runs including a glorious long run of EIGHTEEN miles- huge for me since I really haven't been running and didn't think that was even a possibility a couple weeks ago. I plan on doing a couple more long runs pre-IMC.)

Rolling thru week 4 and enjoying some nice recovery. Coach KP always scheduled a recovery week right before the peak / tapering block to flush out any fatigue so going with that protocol. The thought of another heavy volume weekend would have crushed me so it's nice looking at a weekend where I only have a 2.75 hr long ride scheduled. Granted it has a tough 3 x Bald Peak hill repeat insert but sub-3 hours..nice!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel....
and it's a beautiful thing!

*Peace*

4 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Mike,

Looks like you are training nicely for IMC. Especially the part where you run w/ no aches and pains :)

1:43 PM  
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

Those are some solid workouts, Mike!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Wow - those back to back centuries are impressive.

I am also glad to hear the foot problems seem to be clearing up.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great training, Mike! You sound very positive going into your taper.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home