Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Bad Blogger! Bad Blogger!

It's scary when you haven't turned on the lights for awhile and the first thing you see is your race countdown clock at 67 days!! Seriously, where does the time go!?
I figured I'd take a break and spare you all the agony of reading the multiple posts I would of threw up here all revolving around my current obsession with my aching feet.

Bad mojo baby!

Sorry, indulge me a bit here on the feet though. :-) They are ...dare I say it...getting better!? Ok, maybe that was a bit premature but I have been treating them aggressively since my last post. If anyone is suffering from plantar fasciitis, USE THE GOLF BALL! I got the tip from Fluro who is dealing with some serious foot issues. The ball therapy has been HUGE in getting my feet to a point where I can actually run. It isn't the most fun digging a golf ball into the pain points in your heel but I definitely feel like I am breaking up the knots in there. If i'm sitting down, I'm working the golf ball, simple as that. Also, firm support of the arches at all times with the Birkys has been a major help as well..got that tip from Steven's Karen so getting some love all around....oh, and using the foam roller to keep the calves nice and loose....actually a goal since my calves are pretty "knotty".

Running has been pretty pitiful the last 3 weeks....2 weeks ago, I could only run once due to the pain (6 miles) but last week I was able to crank out 19 big ones (kinda funny bragging about running 19 miles eh?)...the feet were definitely sore but the fact that I could actually run was huge. This week, I ran 4 miles yesterday and got attacked by a bird...maybe he was trying to tell me to stay off my feet? Whatever...it scared the crapola out of me when it divebombed and hit me in the head and then came back for a second pass which I was able to avoid by ducking....this was on the woodchip trail around the nike campus and I think it was probably protecting a nest but come on...just trying to get my run on!! ;-) The second loop, sure enough...the same bird was stalking me and every time I looked up it was getting ready to divebomb me again...crazy! I must have looked like a fool sitting there clapping and yelling while trying to run but was able to avoid any bloodshed so it worked.

I'm hoping my feet continue to heal...I will continue with the aggressive therapy on my end. I figure I will continue to run as well...I can't run fast since whenever I hit around a 7:45 pace they (feet) let me know they aren't happy but each week the pain seems to be just a little less then the prior week....I'd hate to think it was my pain tolerance going up eh!?

Finally, instead of living vicariously through all you studs and studettes who have already raced this year, I am going to toe the line at the Pac Crest 1/2 Iron on Saturday. It was definitely iffy for awhile and my run is definitely the X factor since I have no miles in my legs to speak of. I'll just have to HAMMER the bike so that I can still have a decent finish if the run turns into a walk! Thank god it's only a 1/2 iron....if this was IMC, I would not be happy!

I know several of you are racing IM CDA so I'll definitely be following online. Positive vibes headed your way for a strong race out there...stay in the moment and believe!

*Peace*

16 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Mike,

Is the bird a magpie? I heard they dive bombs on cyclist in australia.

Glad to hear your feet is getting better. Keep with the golf balls.

I am looking at around 30 odd days before my first Ironman....time sure gone by fast..thanks for your support...the gear and your wetsuit :o)

Ironman training is sure a fun journey.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Glad to hear you are getting better, Mike. Best of luck with your upcoming HIM!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Glad to hear your feet are on the mend - I'll have to remember the golf ball remedy.

You should not have chased that bird away. You should have encouraged it to crap on you - that would have brought you very good luck! Think about it - what are the odds of getting crapped on by a bird?

No superstitions here.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

The golf ball things seems to be helping me as well, along with the frozen water bottle/roller.

Good luck with the PC 1/2.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

Mike,

Is there an easy way to uplaod you tube videos?
can't seem to figure it out

fluro
P.S glad you having some success on the golf ball.

Another good tip for loosening tights calves. Have you ever tried chinese cupping?? This is a great way to release the sheath (protective covering around your msucles) off the muscle before you can give it some good deep tissue work. If you have tight muscles it might be that the muscle tissue is attaching itself onto the sheath that hold your muscle in place. if you can release this first it will make it much easier to massage the muscle.
I had my masseuse chinese cup me yesterday on my calves and she was able to go in alot deeper as the muscle tissue was pulling near as much.

Hope that helps. I'm also doing some research at the moment trying to put together at list of supplements that will help with recovery, muscle repair and energy. Once Blackmores get back to me I'll forward info onto you.


fluro

12:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck at the 1/2 iron this weekend.

That's kind of funny about the bird. That's a pretty high traffic trail so I am sure there have been more victims out there.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You're back, finally!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Jason The Running Man said...

Wow, scary bird! Hope the feet get to feeling normal. Great job on the 19 miles.

5:19 AM  
Blogger JeffM said...

Good luck at Pac Crest! That's wild about the bird actually hitting you- but you kept running.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

Yeah that countdown clock can be a bitch. ;)

That's cool about the golfball trick... something I would never think of, but makes sense when you think about it.

Cliff has such a positive attitude (re: above comment) that it's almost funny :)

7:51 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Hey Mike, glad to hear things are going well. Looking forward to hearing about Pac Crest.

1:09 PM  
Blogger qcmier said...

Glad you're back and running.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hang in there. You'll recover quickly and be back to your speedy 'ole self in no time. I've started using a tennis ball under my foot during my daily stretching. It feels so good..like a foot massage.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Mike, you have PF? Man, those go away so slowly! Sorry to hear it, and with (now) 53 days before the Big Day I do hope you're getting better by the minute.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Crash said...

mike - it is now July 5th...we need a new post.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

Bueller?.. Bueller? ... Bueller?...

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home